advertisement

'New' approach to speaker design

I'm not convinced by ideas like this. They have no idea how room acoustics works. It is doomed to failure. Doomed I say.

We in the hi-fi world mainly use stereo recordings. Reproducing such requires a good part of the sound at the listening position to be direct from the speakers.

This idea is likely to produce a nondescript sound field.

The title reminds me of the last "revolution".

Who knows? Maybe it's different this time!

This is totally different - not any technical mumbo jumbo but quite a simple concept to make best use of the room acoustics. However, execution may prove to be difficult and I am sure it will end up sounding great in some rooms and not so good in others - very much like many traditional speakers.
Still interesting to see some young kids trying it out

I'm not convinced by ideas like this. They have no idea how room acoustics works. It is doomed to failure. Doomed I say.

Corners have been wonderful places since 1946. Nothing new to see here; a ceiling corner is only an upside down floor corner. Horn loading a tiny little / cheap computer speaker is actually a great idea IMO, it makes a lot of sense.

My folk bought a place back in 81 where a guy had built alost identical ceiling corner speakers like these for the kitchen. They did sound rather nice. He had a full on set amp and tannoy system in the living room.

A small full range in the corner is likely to be much better than the "traditional" computer near field pair plus high Q sub woofer crossed over far too high

Corners have been wonderful places since 1946. Nothing new to see here; a ceiling corner is only an upside down floor corner. Horn loading a tiny little / cheap computer speaker is actually a great idea IMO, it makes a lot of sense.

The Voigt corner horn was based on using the corners/walls and arrived in 1934. Paul Voigt made it clear that co-opting the room in this way was key. As Paul Messenger wrote in 'stereophile' on hearing the Voigts; ''it makes you wonder if there has been any progress in audio in the last 80 years.'''
It is a long time since anything truly revolutionary arrived in audio. The one exception is digital streaming...and that is revolutionary.

advertisement

Back