advertisement

New Apple TV sound quality

Yeah I had one (iPad that is) a few months ago that I took back to the Apple store and got a refund. I was in no way unhappy with it but it didn't feel like £600 worth of use to me. Now saying that, the list of wants I had a the time that the iPad couldn't do has all but gone and will all have gone when OS 4.2 comes out next month (Except video conferencing of course! ggrrrr) and I will be very very tempted to get the credit card out again even though I know full well that if I wait until april '11 version 2 will be out and much better.... damn you Apple!

Agreed. One of the issues IMO with apple products is how they charge so much for upgrading from the base spec; I think the entry level ipad @ £429 is keenly priced but if you want 64gb and 3g it's almost double that.

Forthcoming 7" iPad will better fit purpose of fancy sofa browser/remote control at a more realistic price point.

I still can't see the 7" one appearing, no evidence to prove it won't just a hunch, mainly because it's just another screen size for devs to deal with. Apple dont want to end up with Androids problem of platform fragmentation. Also I'm sure the original iPad went through tons of focus groups to end up with the 10" screen and to change it so suddenly 2 year in? doesn't make sense. Still you never know, if it has a retina display, front camera, 3G as standard and maybe even an SD card slot for importing pics then I'll be happy 7 or 10"

And getting back to sound quality......

Well it's ok. In isolation fairly good but feed a pretty basic cd transport into the Dacmagic, in my case a budget Arcam, and it sounds a little soft. So ultimately, now where near the engaging listen my P9 is.

Enjoy.

Jay

I still can't see the 7" one appearing, no evidence to prove it won't just a hunch, mainly because it's just another screen size for devs to deal with. Apple dont want to end up with Androids problem of platform fragmentation. Also I'm sure the original iPad went through tons of focus groups to end up with the 10" screen and to change it so suddenly 2 year in? doesn't make sense. Still you never know, if it has a retina display, front camera, 3G as standard and maybe even an SD card slot for importing pics then I'll be happy 7 or 10"

You were right Dan, it's 7.9" http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad-mini/design/

Cheers, Rack!;)

Does anyone know if the ATV3 can pull content from an iTunes library stored on a NAS drive or is it computer only?

comparing a EAC rip of exactly the same CD between an apple TV cabled vs my karik with the outputs of both taken in spdif the difference is obvious and huge.

The karik murders the ATV.

The same is not true if I output from the PC directly without all the messing about in the land of stream.

You were right Dan, it's 7.9" http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad-mini/design/

Cheers, Rack!;)

Does anyone know if the ATV3 can pull content from an iTunes library stored on a NAS drive or is it computer only?

That's generous of you, I'd say is was 100% wrong:D

At least the aspect ratio stayed the same with the 7.9" screen so the devs don't have to remake the apps for another size.

TBH I'm thinking of picking up a Nexus 7 32GB 3G - for £239 (When they're in stock) it's a bit of a bargain and I really like the look of the Google Now service - until last week Google Maps was a real strength but now they've released the iOS app so that's evened out a bit.

One of the guys at the office got the iPad mini and after using it I would definitely choose that over the full size iPad if I didn't already have a 3rd gen one - so much lighter and more convenient to use.

comparing a EAC rip of exactly the same CD between an apple TV cabled vs my karik with the outputs of both taken in spdif the difference is obvious and huge.

The karik murders the ATV.

The same is not true if I output from the PC directly without all the messing about in the land of stream.

IIRC the ATV operates at a fixed 48k sampling rate, so in most situations everything is subject to SRC, and perhaps that isn't performed too well.

For people streaming 16/44.1 the AEX is probably a better choice since this is fixed at 44.1k.

That's generous of you, I'd say is was 100% wrong:D

At least the aspect ratio stayed the same with the 7.9" screen so the devs don't have to remake the apps for another size.

TBH I'm thinking of picking up a Nexus 7 32GB 3G - for £239 (When they're in stock) it's a bit of a bargain and I really like the look of the Google Now service - until last week Google Maps was a real strength but now they've released the iOS app so that's evened out a bit.

One of the guys at the office got the iPad mini and after using it I would definitely choose that over the full size iPad if I didn't already have a 3rd gen one - so much lighter and more convenient to use.

I still haven't got round to buying an iPad but after handling the mini in store, i was surprised at how much smaller it felt but the screen seemed as usable as the regular iPad.

advertisement

Back