advertisement

New active speaker day! (AE1s), which DAC/Pre to pair?

Yeh the ethernet isn't a deal breaker. In fact, I'm using the Allo USBridge at the moment and, with ROPIEEE XL, I'm getting Roon and Airplay being processed by the DAC no problem. I'm looking at the RME ADI-2 DAC FS at the moment; interesting bit of kit!

I used to own an RME ADI-2 and I sold it on here (or the WAM I forget) for a very low price which I regret now because it would have been perfect. I do recall it sounding very 'clean' through my Nord power amp and ATC speakers.

I have the Loxjie D40 sitting in front of me and I cant wait to fire up the system later today.

Yes, I'll be very interested to hear how you get on with the D40. It's currently sat in my Amazon basket! :)

Yes, very good so far. The unit is a really good desktop DAC, I havent tried the headphone amp yet but I have a set of Grados somewhere in the cupboard that I just might give a go. It does the full h/w decode of MQA, even though I am not that fussed about MQA myself, its nice to get the sample rate and colured minLED:)
The speakers are wonderful, easily the best desktop system I have had, although I dont think you can beat the ribbon tweeter from my QUAD S1s. I am a massive active speaker fan, it just makes more sense to me.

52200795470_563ac2498d_h.jpg

52200795430_f3abd04960_h.jpg

52200570379_5df0f19f0e_b.jpg
52200314458_109f77e3f0_m.jpg

Oh crap, I only just noticed the Y missing! I can feel a strongly worded letter (Y?) to the person I bought them from!

From experience, when using a combined DAC/preamp into active speakers be cautious of how the volume control is operated. On some it all too easy to accidentally turn the volume to max by mistake, particularly when using an app as the control device. A lot less likely to happen if you are using a remote control device.

advertisement

Back