advertisement

[FS] Nelson Pass Aleph 3 Pwr amp. Excellent

GDBD59

pfm Member
I bought this recently, this is the ex-Tony L. Aleph that he re-capped in 2021, and is documented in this thread.
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/pass-aleph-3.259204/

My speakers are 92dB Triangle floorstanders. My existing amps are tiny Class D monoblocks (though 100 Watt) The Triangle are 8 Ohm, but drop down to around 3 Ohm at low frequencies. I had wondered if a beefy Class A would change the bass. When this was advertised I kinda 'jumped' at it, as they don't often :rolleyes: come up for sale.

My normal listening levels preference are lower than Mr Average, - there were several rooms at last year's WAM show that I didn't get past the door of, - I'm not good at tolerating gigs-levels, & at a recent 'bake-off' I didn't like the sound level from huge floorstanders.

At my normal, & 'pretty loud' noise levels, the Aleph don't sound any better than the Class D's.
s_10.gif

My visiting-partner thought the same, but she likes & can tolerate louder music, & that's when the Aleph was great.

I also have a pair of 86dB speakers, & they sound better driven by the Aleph than by the Class D's.

So whether it's as simple as the speaker sensitivity?
Or the output from my pre being a factor, - the volume is not turned anywhere near 50%. ??

It is in superb condition, I love the rugged looks of it, but sadly it's not for me.

£1200.

Buyer to arrange their preferred Courier.

20240417_130312 by Gary Dunn, on Flickr

20240417_130347 by Gary Dunn, on Flickr

20240417_130417 by Gary Dunn, on Flickr

20240417_130509 by Gary Dunn, on Flickr

20240417_133218 by Gary Dunn, on Flickr

20240418_135906 by Gary Dunn, on Flickr

Wow, two for sale at once! I'm surprised - my Aleph 5 is going nowhere. The impedance of the Triangles could well be a factor. My Aleph sounds amazing with 8 ohm ribbons, but isn't happy with my 4 ohm woofers and mids (which are actually around 3 ohms in practice).

Good luck with the sale.

Well thanks for that. Put my A3 up for sale and a day later you put the same amp up for £300 cheaper 🤦‍♂️

Thing is, if mine doesn't sell, I will be secretly pleased. Fabulous amps and have a bump on me.

And just a note regarding ohm ratings. The beauty of SS Class A designs is the way they double down into lower loads, so that is unlikely to be the issue. I'm sure Mr Pass suggests this amp should be perfectly happy into 2 or even 1 ohm loads.

GLWTS

@karlsushi Aleph 3 manual says its rated 30w into 8 ohms, 60w into 4 ohms, 60w into 2 ohms. My comments above about my own Aleph 5, a different model after all, do seem too harshly worded, with hindsight. Can't edit now, unfortunately. I do think finding the right amp/speaker match is crucial for these, though.

These are wonderful amps, single ended class A, bulletproof, total classics, and normally near-impossible to get hold of anywhere. They're a classic piece of industrial design too.

GLWTS, both.

If you listen at low loudness then the lack of bass may be due to the way the ear works - at low loudness the ear is less sensitive in the bass. Look up Fletcher–Munson equal loudness curves.

Some older amps had a loudness control which was really a bass boost. So you might try something that allows you to boost the bass frequencies for low loudness playback.

DV

I seem to recall the Stereophile review (I think it was Stereophile) saying these would actually drive a short... not sure it's a good idea to test that idea though! Also fondly remember another comment about these not being amps you'd want to play catch with. 😂

Now that there are two of these for sale... the thought of bi-amping with them occurs... luckily for me I have no spare cash (right now) to go for these lol.

@karlsushi........ yeah sorry for the coincidental timing, - I'm just selling at the same price I paid.

As to the other comments, - I don't listen 'quietly'. I actually enjoy turning the volume up quite a bit when I'm in an adjacent room. My Triangle's don't sound good at low volume....no use as a nearfield, but the Pass feeding them didn't improve the sound over my Class D, until it got to louder than I'm personally comfortable with.

I am sad to see this, as I sold you the amp (and confirming you are selling for what you paid me). I had many fabulous listening sessions with it.

What these don't like (and Pass Labs mentioned this explicitly to me) is high-ohmage speakers like LS3/5s. Issues are more likely to be at the preamp end. I used passives with great success with line sources, but no good with MC/phono stage, to which end I used a Primare Pre32 with adjustable gain. That worked very well.

I think someone on here (Dan someone?) actually has the even more rare Aleph P preamp - I assume this is the one with adjustable gain for each channel and a "master" volume.

I don't have enough knowledge to say more than I have Tim, but the S/C pre is going nowhere, - I know it's very good. It has been used as a pre into Class D, & at least two Class a/b integrated's & was better than an Ayre K5. The speakers long-term I don't know yet, but they sound very good with the Aleph 3 & Class D.

I think someone on here (Dan someone?) actually has the even more rare Aleph P preamp - I assume this is the one with adjustable gain for each channel and a "master" volume.
That would be me. One of the last ones made, with remote control. Wonderful sound and build quality. If I didn’t already have a very nice Ayre amp I would buy the matching amp. The first time I heard one was in Jazz Big Boy in Tokyo driving big 4343B JBLs. Sounded great.

advertisement

Back