advertisement

Neil young

Martin 52

pfm Member
Trying to buy some Neil young records mainly harvest and harvest moon to start with. Does anyone know the best version to get . There seems to be so many.
Thank you

Whatever you do, make sure you are buying records from the Neil Young Archive series. Some particular titles…

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
After the Goldrush
Harvest
Tonight’s the Night
Zuma
Dume
On the Beach
Comes a Time

These are studio recordings. There are also some excellent live performance recordings that shouldn’t be missed. The Allmusic Guide is your friend…

Trying to buy some Neil young records mainly harvest and harvest moon to start with. Does anyone know the best version to get . There seems to be so many.
Thank you

Any time you can find the original Reprise release in good condition, that's the way to go in my opinion. Young has generally been treated well by the recording and mastering process over the years.

One caveat - the CD Archive box sets are done in HDCD, which can sound kind of un-dynamic if you have a DAC that doesn't support the HDCD process. Titles that originally appeared in the Archive boxes but were later released as single discs generally aren't HDCD and sound better, and the same releases on vinyl are better still. ("Homegrown" and "Dume" for example...)

I've got just about everything and my favourite is Rust Never Sleeps. One of my other favourites is Everyone knows TI Nowhere. In my experience difficult to get a copy that is not too bright, US first press is what I settled on.

An old hero of mine. Everything is at least interesting except his first solo one.

About twenty years ago there was a film, Bandits, with Bruce Willis and Billy Bob Thornton. They are robbers and through the film Billy Bobs character uses disguises reminding one of Neil's various looks through the years. Very funny!

I largely tuned out at Comes a Time though the MTV unplugged is good. Tonight’s the Night I really enjoy despite how depressing it is.

advertisement

Back