advertisement

Neil Young - Psychedelic Pill

I was getting worried that I had an email telling me it had been dispatched last week, but I got home last night to find it has arrived. All for £18.49 or whatever it was.
I'll get to play it tonight and if it's on Spotify I'll listen today at work. Shame there is no download code.
Nice package though - the sleeve layout reminds me of Yessongs.

Drifting Back (the first track) is a little hypocritical if you ask me. He says he is drifting back and saying he doesn't want his MP3 and all of this. Neither do I, but I don't want to pay £75 for your vinyl either!!!

Just got the vinyl, so far it seems more "relaxed", less "stressed" than the CD, less of that sense that "the distortion is distorted".

Well, I have now listened to the whole thing.

I think it's one of his best works and I'd be happy if this marked the end of a stunning career that has provided to me at least some of the finest music written.

This album is also a testament to Crazy Horse, the synergy there is always special.

I'm playing the last side as I type and the cues back to Live Rust bring a rye smile.

As for the sound, I think some of you have got a little used to the Archive series and the likes of the very sweet Massey Hall which is another stand out album and the other side of Neil Young.

This offering is filthy and sounds like it but perfect as it is.

I love this new album, everything sounds as it should in the mix. Not shouty but natural sounding. distorted guitar effects incredibly real. almost as if they are playing nearby. Vocals have a lot of air around them, with no harshness, this is the way all albums should be.

It is a no from me. Feels lazy and formulaic, all be it his own unique formula. Will still go and see him in Newcastle even though his recent set list is not my favourite.

IMHO the song writing is particularly lacking on this album.

I wish he'd stop going on and on about mp3, he is beginning sound a little sour.

advertisement

Back