advertisement

Needed 1/8th inch Whitworth countersunk Allen bolts, 0.5 approx inches long

Chris

pfm Member
As stated above, to fix end caps on my Sugden A48II amp, I need 4 of these. Supplies long since dried up over the counter in the Canaries. Any suggestions, please ?

As above. eBay is superb for all manner of obscure fixings in low quantities, I’ve so often found what I’ve needed there and in the low numbers I need.

Really surprised these are BSW. most UK parts back in the day used BA fixings.
If you do need BSW, there is a US equivalent, except for thread angle, which shouldn't matter;
try 5-40 UNC.

Now I’m really lost. I assumed Whitworth because they ain’t metric. Who’s this BA guy ? I’ll try Patrick at Sugden and steer clear of diy. Why isn’tthere a bodger’sforum.

Thanks Steve, so that will be 4BA, 1/2 inch long countersunk, hex head. Does that sound right?

TBH, I just read "Whitworth", not the eighth inch bit.
Whitworth threads have always tended to be used in larger diameters - maybe half inch and above. There will still be plenty in use industrially, they were common enough.

As @ralphfcooke has said, before metric, BA were probably the commonest thread to something like 2BA - around 5mm, almost always the even sizes, but odd sizes exist and have been/are used occasionally.

I think I’ll just leave the end caps off. Wharrapalaver.

Later today.
Much obliged to Patrick at Suggies who has most kindly put me out of my misery by sending me the correct bolts for my A48. I knew there was a reason for my madness way back in 1978 when I bought it blind at Hardman’s of Liverpool’s advice. Cost me 205 quid ! Worked out well.

Last edited:
I was talking to a guy the other day who was working on an Airbus wing tip. He said the fastenings were a non standard Metric thread...

It was common in 'the old days' for engineering shops to cut their own threads of whatever diameter and pitch.

It was common in 'the old days' for engineering shops to cut their own threads of whatever diameter and pitch.

It wasn't common, it was normal - there were no standard threads at all until around 1850, and there was no range of threads accepted as standards until the late 1800's.

It must be very rare indeed these days to use a no-standard thread, if on cost grounds alone, but aerospace fasteners................... I know that a lot are UNC/UNF. A lot of threaded aerospace fasteners are also used in helicoils, which are totally weird threads in the female part.

TBH, I just read "Whitworth", not the eighth inch bit.
Whitworth threads have always tended to be used in larger diameters - maybe half inch and above. There will still be plenty in use industrially, they were common enough.

As @ralphfcooke has said, before metric, BA were probably the commonest thread to something like 2BA - around 5mm, almost always the even sizes, but odd sizes exist and have been/are used occasionally.

Yes, almost always even sizes but I did have a lot of 5BA screws at one time and I also found 3BA used on the pendulum adjustment of a Victorian clock - it was damaged but fortunately my Dad has an old set of taps and dies which included the odd sizes as well.

Bit of a hornet´s nest, wot ? Does Brexit mean we´ll be going back to these engineers´jiggerypokery, secret masonic packdrills ? Or can we be sensible and keep the better parts of the metric system. Although I must admit I did use to like the 16 ounces to one pound, 14 lbs to one stone and cwts and tanners, bob and nicker (no plural forms), Furlongs, chains, etc. None of this puffy main unit divided into, ten, a hundred or a thousand etc. parts.

advertisement

Back