advertisement

Need to know about baths

According to this calculator you can save 50,000 litres of clean drinking water per year if you take a quick shower instead of a bath.
A bath is pleasure and relaxation, a quick shower is a quick shower. There are so many pleasant things we could do without that would "save the planet." Never washing a car, wearing the same clothes for 3 days without washing, only local holidays and no air travel. Minimal home heating and no air conditioning.

I hate small shower enclosures. If I had to chose I would replace a bath with a large shower.

We just tanked half the room last time we decorated and then didn't bother with any enclosure, very useful when i was disabled too, put a plastic chair under the shower. You'll appreciate it in your dotage.

According to this calculator you can save 50,000 litres of clean drinking water per year if you take a quick shower instead of a bath.
True, but trying to sell a property that has a shower cubicle rather than bath (with shower too) can be problematic. At least for anything larger than a 1 bed. You are going to exclude quite a percentage of "family" buyers who have young children they want to "bath".

I have rarely used my bath for actually taking a bath, but, like many, I use it to shower in.

I have an old enamel iron bath, which just happens to be a non standard length (by modern standard lengths at least). I've been toying with the idea of changing it but I've only managed to find one bath that is the same length. I'm also rather unconvinced by modern baths. I've had showers in so many that you can feel flexing under your feet, not very confidence inspiring.

A bath tub is also useful for washing things. Bleaching table napkins, rinsing out a pair of jeans, the filters from air conditioners, IBM Model M keyboards, washing dogs, washing photographic prints, so many things.

A bath is pleasure and relaxation...
As is often the case the Japanese have the right idea. I miss trips to our neighbourhood bathhouse when we lived in Tokyo. A thorough scrub under the shower then a long soak in a steaming bath with a bunch of old blokes. You emerge tranquil and with bones like rubber. Bliss.

Because you shower before entering a bath in Japan it's common for a household to all use the same water to bath. Baths are thermostatically controlled to keep them warm and have lids to keep the water clean. Our apartment had a control panel in the living room that beeped when the bath had warmed up enough to use.

And of course human beings are not the only residents of Japan who revere a long soak in a hot bath.

58d2c0f2112f7043268b5e0b

True, but trying to sell a property that has a shower cubicle rather than bath (with shower too) can be problematic. At least for anything larger than a 1 bed. You are going to exclude quite a percentage of "family" buyers who have young children they want to "bath".

I have rarely used my bath for actually taking a bath, but, like many, I use it to shower in.

I have an old enamel iron bath, which just happens to be a non standard length (by modern standard lengths at least). I've been toying with the idea of changing it but I've only managed to find one bath that is the same length. I'm also rather unconvinced by modern baths. I've had showers in so many that you can feel flexing under your feet, not very confidence inspiring.
yes i have put baths in properties for that reason , children like to splosh in the bath

There are probably more serious accidents having a shower in a bath than any other scenario.

Slippery, slopy floor, soap, high sides, what could possibly go wrong?

I'm now very careful where i put the shampoo bottle when i get out of the bath in case i end up being asked awkward questions in A & E.

Ah but I also bought a dishwasher 40 years ago which is still going - an unexciting Hotpoint. A new one would be lucky to last 5 years and I'm a bit concerned that the quality of cheap baths may have deteriorated similarly. New products generally seem a lot crappier then their predecessors.

My next door neighbours are on their second new bathroom in five years. That's a game I'd prefer not to play.

I cannot believe the amount of pointless and wasteful interior refurbishment that goes on, but I am kind of grateful as it means there is an almost incessant stream of perfectly good household fittings and fixtures being almost given away on eBay and gumtree.

As far as baths are concerned, as long as it's not plastic and I can stretch out in it, anything goes. I do like a mixer tap with big handles you can control with your toes, though.

I cannot believe the amount of pointless and wasteful interior refurbishment that goes on, but I am kind of grateful as it means there is an almost incessant stream of perfectly good household fittings and fixtures being almost given away on eBay and gumtree.

As far as baths are concerned, as long as it's not plastic and I can stretch out in it, anything goes. I do like a mixer tap with big handles you can control with your toes, though.

Side taps rule, we can both reach it and no arguments about who has the end with taps.

advertisement

Back