advertisement

Need to know about baths

colasblue

pfm Member
I found a puddle underneath the bath last week so the whole lot has had to come out because the floor underneath has turned to mush.

No point putting the original back in and the bathroom is due for a total re-fit anyway.

I'm totally confused about the various different quality levels and price points on offer.

In terms of size I'd like to go as big as possible for the space.

The available space is 1900mm x 750mm (could just about push to 800mm with the loss of an architrave).

They don't quite seem to make a bath to fit but I've found one that's 700 x 1800 and quite a few 750 x 1800 and one 800 x1900

My questions are really whether its worth paying a lot of extra money for the stronger material options like steel or Carronite or Beaufort etc.

What's come out is the cheapest Shires fibreglass bath (in champagne beige) which is typical 80's builders bollox and has lasted 40 years so far and would have lasted longer if I'd noticed it's sealant had failed a bit sooner.

If I go for the first option it ends up at over 600 quid - not so much really if it lasts 40 years. The last option is more still but you know what you're getting with steel. Might be a bit of a pain to fit though since it's wider. than I'd ideally like.

What do people recommend?

I have one just like the Beaufort. At last I can almost lie out in a bath. Love its thin sides too. Been in three years with no issues.

Whatever bath you decide on, get it Armacasted., if it still available. Its second coating on the body of the bath that makes it more rigid and less likely to flex. (especially if its used as a shower)Its a more solid bath basically

I don't think you can get the process separately any more but Armourcast is a brand you can buy.

Unfortunately they don't have anything that's an ideal fit but I get the idea of reinforcement. Always thought the old bath was a bit flimsy when showering and was a bit worried it would crack under my weight one day (never did).

It's the same sort of thing as the Carronite and Beafort options I think.

I actually mostly shower so strength of the bath is important to me, but to not have a bath to go in occasionally when the muscles need a good soak would be unfortunate.

The thing about steel baths is that they are uninsulated and therefore you end up with a cold back and use more hot water if you want a long hot soak.

We installed a Bette bath 20 odd years ago and it was never used because of this. We were about to rip it out and replace it with a Carronite bath but were persuaded to completely insulate it with loft insulation which has transformed it. In my experience Bette customer service is appalling. On a par with Scottish Power in my experience.

Despite the improvement, starting from scratch I would not use steel but would go with Carronite although admittedly I have not tried it however I was very impressed with the stiffness and quality when my over generous frame tried it in the showroom.

Your old cheap one lasted 40 years. If you buy similar and it fails after 40 years, it won't be you replacing it, will it? If I were worried about the strength of the thing, I would fit another couple of the feet or cradles that they come with.

My parents have a Carronite bath and it's certainly strong, but the shiny finish has gone off pretty quickly in our hard water so that puts me off the brand a bit. You don't get that with enamel though you can chip it which is unfortunate. I don't know about the beaufort finish though and hoped somebody might.

Ah but I also bought a dishwasher 40 years ago which is still going - an unexciting Hotpoint. A new one would be lucky to last 5 years and I'm a bit concerned that the quality of cheap baths may have deteriorated similarly. New products generally seem a lot crappier then their predecessors.

My next door neighbours are on their second new bathroom in five years. That's a game I'd prefer not to play!

My architect wife, who is not a bath expert but has "done" quite a few bathrooms, says that Bette is a good quality brand. Also, that real, solid ceramic is not really a viable option anymore. (Not sure why, probably massively expensive if of good quality.)

A shower. I haven’t had a bath in my own home for 20 years. Mrs BB will occasionally use it.

Cheers BB

about 10 years ago I removed our baths baths, but fortunately we did have a shower which is all I used for some 20 years. I compare baths to hot tubs, like lying in body waste products, why use a hot tub without fresh water is beyond me.

about 10 years ago I removed our baths baths, but fortunately we did have a shower which is all I used for some 20 years. I compare baths to hot tubs, like lying in body waste products, why use a hot tub without fresh water is beyond me.
I have a bath every day, usually before dinner. I can read, make 'phone calls, even fall asleep occasionally. And there are the plastic ducks, of course.

Yup get what you pay for. Cheap bathroom equipment is terrible these days. Clear green is basically the same as carronite, just a thicker lay up of fibreglass really.
Got a lovely Villeroy & Boch bath in my house made out of a material they call Quaryl. Best bath I’ve ever fitted.

I refurbished my bathroom around 10 years ago and the issue I have now is not the bath which is fine, but the bath panel which is both discoloured and made of cheese. Unfortunately the bath (which was not cheap) is not a standard shape and so a replacement cannot be sourced. Replacement tailored panels run to 300 pound plus and so my option is to codge up a repair to the cracks which have now appeared or to buy a new bath. Something to bear in mind with your replacement . In my opinion (I've fitted a few baths over the years) unless you are a fat twat most baths are ok and will give a long life regardless of price.

Burlington Bathrooms make good quality products, not the least expensive but not the most expensive either.
An important consideration if you wish to fit a cast bath is the floor on which it sits, it needs to be pretty sturdy especially if not ground floor.

Like some posters above I haven't had a bath in probably 40 years in my case, I much prefer a daily shower, sometimes twice a day.
Having said that sometimes after an operation people cannot shower and a bath comes in handy.

I have every intention of making the new floor out of 18mm marine ply, and then tiling it before the bath goes in so there is no possibility of a repeat of what's happened.

Expensive but sound plan I think.

Not even going to look at that green chipboard! Could possibly be persuaded to use sterling board if people think it's any good. Seems a lot more waterproof than chipboard and properly T&G's for flooring use

According to this calculator you can save 50,000 litres of clean drinking water per year if you take a quick shower instead of a bath.
Ever so slightly off topic. If we were serious about saving water. Then we could collect rain water (its not beyong the wit of man) and use that, rather than fresh drinking water, to shower in. But, as we know, they're only playing at saving the planet

advertisement

Back