advertisement

Need help on Valhalla board repair (Linn LP12)

kenlp12

Hi all!

My Valhalla board blew 2 days ago. From what I can see R1 and the fuse seemed to be the only damaged parts. The big caps needed replacing too due to leaking a little acid - though they were still working. So this is what I did so far: New R1 (47), fuse (240V), rectifier (B500C/1500mA), big caps (phillips 47µF 350V). I´m a little experienced with soldering so that I´d say there are no dead soldering points or wrong positioned parts. Now what happens when I connect the board to mains - R1 blows up in fire! The fuse is still ok though. So what could be wrong with my Valhalla?

I´d appreciate any hint that you could have on this.

Thanks in advance,

Ken.

I believe that Robert Richie Hi-Fi of Montrose, Scotland now have a repair service for these boards and where getting kits together last time i was in there a few months ago. Might be worth a quick phone call (01674) 673765.

Check if you really put all the caps right way. I put one wrong way and it took heat. Fortunately did not blow up as I cut the power fast as I smelled the stink. Thank God I had 500V caps.

Linn's repair set gives a component looking a flat round pillow like a ceramic cap (SG-240) to replace the R1.

The two big resistors which lower the voltage should be changed too I think.

Also the older Valhalla boards can be updated with two diodes and one resistor between the outmost connections of the motor.

You can order Linn's repair kits and have an instruction sheet made by Linn.

I got them from authorized Linn/Naim service:
[email protected]

Oz

Hi Linnik,

Caps are all right way, double checked also with pictures from other valhalla boards. The R1 Replacement will be a varistor to be high resistant on mains peaks. I just took the original R1 as it always worked so far. The two big R´s are 15K and still ok. So the problem must be behind these components. Maybe something with the transistors but unfortunately they are some really rare parts C2501, maybe 2SC 2501 or MJ2501 or MC2501 power transistors are similar. I can´t tell without the BOM parts list of LINN. I have the schematics for the newer Valhalla boards but LINN didn´t put the values in it...

Could you please tell me which parts your repair kit consisted of so I could maybe get a hint by that on where´s the problem in my Valhalla?

Regards,

Ken.

Originally posted by kenlp12
Hi Linnik,

Caps are all right way, double checked also with pictures from other valhalla boards. The R1 Replacement will be a varistor to be high resistant on mains peaks. I just took the original R1 as it always worked so far. The two big R´s are 15K and still ok. So the problem must be behind these components. Maybe something with the transistors but unfortunately they are some really rare parts C2501, maybe 2SC 2501 or MJ2501 or MC2501 power transistors are similar. I can´t tell without the BOM parts list of LINN. I have the schematics for the newer Valhalla boards but LINN didn´t put the values in it...

Could you please tell me which parts your repair kit consisted of so I could maybe get a hint by that on where´s the problem in my Valhalla?

Regards,

Ken.

Hi Ken,

The repair kit includes the big caps, the varistor and a bigger (electrically) rectifier.

Then the Valhalla update kit includes 2 small diodes and a resistor.

Additionally I am waiting for the new 15K resistors until I will make the final fit.

Then also turning the one cap. If it has been blown I will change all the big 500V caps I have installed for the set I got in repair kit (nichicon 47uF 250V).

Oz

I've sent you the Valhalla repair manual, sorry for the delay; early Valhallas would occasionally blow if there was a surge in the mains, destroying the Bridge rectifier – BR1, resistor R1 and the fuse.

Replace the 3 blown parts – available as a repair kit – Linn part no: VAL REPAIR.

Note – the resistor is replaced with a Surge Guard to prevent reoccurrence.

I'd recommend a re-cap too, Linn have a kit, VAL 004, that replaces C9, C10, C11, C12 & C13.

Andy.

Would someone mind sending me a copy of this Valhalla repair manual? I have a spare Valhalla that takes too long to get up to speed and I would like to fix and update it. Dare I even mention the Vinyl Engine for a permanent place to put the manual?

Thanks.

advertisement

Back