advertisement

Neat MF7

sunshine

pfm Member
Hi,

There is a pair of Neat MF7 and I thought of getting. As it is a used pair, no chance for a home trail. A Kudos C20 user for some years, is MF7 an upgrade or lateral move?

No bass boom with C20 so hopefully rear ported MF7 works ok.

Best wishes

The MF7 is a serious speaker!

I used MFS Ultimatums and loved them. But they need a top class source and didn't sing till I used vertically bi-amped Naim 250s (as per the designers suggestion).

The MF7s will like wise need things upstream to be sorted out lest you end up with a mullet system.

Doug

The MF7s are one of my favourite ever speakers. Balance is similar to the large Kudos Titans (Derek of Kudos had a big hand in the design of the MF7).

They do like meaty amps: I had mine at the end of a pair of Exposure XVIs (and later 2 pairs). Room positioning is something you need to be careful with: I had a square-ish room, so keeping them away from both corners and rear wall was a must. I tried the 'bundled drinking straws in the back of the port' trick, which was quite successful. However, the best tip I can pass on is the type of stand used, especially on a suspended floor. Townshend podiums (whether old or new iteration) really cleaned up the bass.

I had MF9s. Excellent speakers, quite imposing. I understand the MF7 is a bit more tricky to get right. The 9s worked well with a Dynavector HX1.2, a pair of Patrick Dixon's chip amps and 90W of valve power. I can imagine Townshend podiums working very well, if you can afford the damn things. Any MF on a suspended wooden floor would be asking for trouble. Sources do need to be quite good but not necessarily very expensive, unless you're wedded to Naim.

Hi,

There is a pair of Neat MF7 and I thought of getting. As it is a used pair, no chance for a home trail. A Kudos C20 user for some years, is MF7 an upgrade or lateral move?

Best wishes

You could've heard at pair at The Wam Show last weekend, shame you didn't post a question last week :)

I really like to C20, but the MF7 is definitely an upgrade. They do need more space than the C20 though. I would echo the comments from others about partnering equipment, although the C20 is already a quite revealing speaker.

It was my MF7's at the Wigwam Kegworth show this last weekend, so you just missed a chance to hear them, which is unfortunate.

My summary- a top notch speaker needing decent amplification to get the best out of them, so, what amps are you considering driving them with ?

Thanks for the replies.

Currently using Exposure XI/IX and IVDR driving C20. Amplification should be ok for MF7 I suppose. Source is TMS3.

Great speakers, I enjoyed MF9 for many years, I used mine with TMS and Naim amps and although they are relatively easy to drive they do appreciate the extra power of a bigger amp. Not really heard Exposure amps at any great length but what I did hear was a little softer and more relaxed than the Naims.

Regardless of how good the speakers are, if rear ported they’ll need plenty of space behind them. Or possibly bungs in the ports, but I’ve always thought that is an odd way to go.

advertisement

Back