advertisement

Neat Elite SX

hifienthusiast

Vintage by heart
I am going to collect a pair of used Neat Elite SX this weekend. I always want to try a pair of floorstanding speakers after using some cheapish stand mounting speakers (Q Acoustics 3010) for many years. I heard the Elite in the seller's place last weekend. The seller was demonstrating the Elite using Naim 5XS integrated amp and the bass from the Elite is deep and powerful, a lot more than I expect from such a small pair of floorstanding speakers. I am going to try the Elite with an Onix OA22 integrated amp and see how it sounds.

I am getting a bit excited about these speakers since I haven't had a pair of great sounding speakers for a number of years.

Not quite your question, but it prompted me to bring my pair of Neat Elite SE, 2003 vintage, up from the basement for a session or two. Delightful speakers - always an enchanting listen. They are beautifully balanced - the highs detailed, a touch sweet, free of excess sibilance or glare. As many have noted, the bass is surprisingly authoritative, the mids just right. One of the few small floorstanders that have done as well for me as good standmounts.

I’ll allow that my Neat Motive SX3i’s improve on the Elite SE somewhat, particularly on vocals, but the latter are by no means disgraced. And the Elites are an elegant little package.

For my money, no other speakers have really improved on the sound of stringed instruments in my medium-small den. I’ve matched them with various Rega, Naim and Exposure amps to excellent effect; music really comes alive.

I hope your SXs serve you as well - I haven’t had the pleasure.

53429757472_7ebc5300bf_m.jpg

I just collected the Elite SX and they really sound superb, the midrange is clear, bass is deep and channel separation is excellent. My feet are tapping again! The little Q Acoustics 3010 sound muddled and confused in comparison. I am really surprised that the Onix OA22 can drive the Elite so well.

I’ve got my motive sx3s set up currently with an Onix oa21 and they work really well together. I’d not previously got the toe tapping thing, but these things really groove along.

The OA21 was one of my favorite amps, that is before the anniversary scam scandal performed by..😫 I have luckily forgotten the bastards name.

advertisement

Back