advertisement

Neat Acoustics Iota Xplorer Loudspeaker.

Chris Harris

Having just made a Loudspeaker upgrade to my system in the form of the Iota Xplorer from Neat Acoustics. I thought I may be helpful to others on a possible upgrade path to pass on my experience with these quite modest size floorstanders. Having also put pen to paper recently regarding my findings with the Collaro turntable Mat which I found to be a excellent upgrade at relatively low cost. So having given the Xplorers time to settle in and for me to get familiar to their capabilities. So after this period I can honestly say this is a Loudspeaker for me in every respect , as not only a beautiful room friendly design in a stunning Walnut finish but most importantly it's musical abilities which with it's air motion transformer tweeter which gives the sweetest yet smooth high frequency performance you could wish for and matches like a dream to Neats own mid range unit, Also the bass system with two units set in a sealed arrangement in a true Iso-baric arrangement, therefore the bass is so tight and accurate and quite unbelievable for a cabinet this size. And matched and driven so well by my Townshend Allegri plus Pre and Avondale Zap 250 with the (latest 230 modules) power amp. I listen to a wide range of Music from Rock / Jazz / Classical / Blues / Folk etc via both Compact disc and Vinyl which is my first preference but I must say the Xplorers sound just as wonderful on digital as on Record and are so well suited to all musical types I have played to date and like all good upgrades I have spent many late night listening sessions having discovered how wonderful these Neat's really are. And I believe in time the Iota Xplorers will become an almost legendary design from Neat Acoustics like the bookshelf size Petite.

Last edited:
Hi P/S they sit 14" from the rear wall with a very slight angle. I have build a Loudspeaker collection my main pair before the Xplorers were the wonderful Shahinian Larc's but also have Guru QM10's, Shahinian Starters, Royd Edens (active) and believe it or not this afternoon picked up some Royd Minstrels from my sister in law who had no use for them ??

In Tassie, I have an old Naim ND5XS2/ Core/82/ 250 in a large—ish room with an oddly shaped ceiling.

Xplorers were my immediate choice (having auditioned them here).

They are great speakers, and imho noticeably better that the Shahinian Compasses I had for years, esp at higher volume and/ or with lots of vigorous bass.

Having heard what Isoacoustic Gaias can do with other speakers on bouncy floors, and having had a brief chat with Neat’s Bob Surgeoner (who was patient and helpful) our next trip down under will include taking some Isoacoustic Gaia 3s and probably Kudos KS-1 (replacing Naim A5).

After much faff, the Xplorers are well over a foot from side or rear walls, nearly as far apart as they are from my ears and slightly toed-in.

If my experience with B&Ws and Gaias in Wimbledon is repeated, I’d expect adding Gaias will mean that the Xplorers can go a little closer to the back wall, but otherwise I don’t expect that adding Gaias will change the best speaker position much. If that turns out to be wrong, I’ll adda comment to the relevant thread.

Having just made a Loudspeaker upgrade to my system in the form of the Iota Xplorer from Neat Acoustics. I thought I may be helpful to others on a possible upgrade path to pass on my experience with these quite modest size floorstanders. Having also put pen to paper recently regarding my findings with the Collaro turntable Mat which I found to be a excellent upgrade at relatively low cost. So having given the Xplorers time to settle in and for me to get familiar to their capabilities. So after this period I can honestly say this is a Loudspeaker for me in every respect , as not only a beautiful room friendly design in a stunning Walnut finish but most importantly it's musical abilities which with it's air motion transformer tweeter which gives the sweetest yet smooth high frequency performance you could wish for and matches like a dream to Neats own mid range unit, Also the bass system with two units set in a sealed arrangement in a true Iso-baric arrangement, therefore the bass is so tight and accurate and quite unbelievable for a cabinet this size. And matched and driven so well by my Townshend Allegri plus Pre and Avondale Zapp 250 with the (latest 230 modules) power amp. I listen to a wide range of Music from Rock / Jazz / Classical / Blues / Folk etc via both Compact disc and Vinyl which is my first preference but I must say the Xplorers sound just as wonderful on digital as on Record and are so well suited to all musical types I have played to date and like all good upgrades I have spent many late night listening sessions having discovered how wonderful these Neat's really are. And I believe in time the Iota Xplorers will become an almost legendary design from Neat Acoustics like the bookshelf size Petite.

Good to read your findings on the Xplorers thanks. I really like Neats, having had the motive SX3 and momentum sx3i previously, currently have Harbeth SHL5+ but considering the Xplorers. How big is your room please?

I am also very much enjoying my Neat Iota Xplorers.

I bought the Xplorers after selling my Neat Ekstras and "upgrading" to Dynaudio Heritage Specials, and then Penaudio Cenya Signatures, both twice as expensive as the Neats. The Dynaudios were probably the least musical speakers I have ever owned - for some reason I found them utterly unengaging to listen to. The Penaudios were good but lacked the speed and dynamics I was looking for. I had loved the Neat Ekstras from the moment I heard them - they reminded me most of my old Epos ES14s - but acknowledged that they were not as resolving as some higher end speakers. Having sold them, I was tempted to buy another pair.

Instead I tried the Xplorers and loved them. They are as musical as the Ekstras but with higher resolution, better timing and deeper bass. Like the Ekstras, the bass is deep but tight, fast and dynamic, with no overhang or boom, which makes them perfect for smaller rooms. The ribbon tweeter is sweet and perfectly integrated. The speakers are tonally fairly neutral but very colourful, and most importantly are musical and engaging. I've been through a lot of speakers over the last decade - easily a dozen or more - but I have now lost all interest in listening to different speakers.

However, I should also say that the Ekstras are also superb. In a small room, with something like an Exposure, Naim, Rega or Sonneteer integrated amp, I doubt you would find anything more musical and fun.

It’s also worth remembering that Xplorers have a rear port. They can go surprisingly close to a back wall, especially if you don’t play loudly, but don’t let the promotional pictures fool you - you will prefer them if you can avoid having them right up against the wall. If you need to put speakers literally tight to the wall for space reasons, they may not be ideal.

I have the smaller IOTA Alpha’s sitting on Isoacoustic Giaias and they are superb with similar qualities. Amazing bass from such small enclosures. I would certainly look at the Xplorer if upgrading. Using an 82/SC/250 to drive them and totally pleased with the performance. Neat make lovely speakers

Having just made a Loudspeaker upgrade to my system in the form of the Iota Xplorer from Neat Acoustics. I thought I may be helpful to others on a possible upgrade path to pass on my experience with these quite modest size floorstanders. Having also put pen to paper recently regarding my findings with the Collaro turntable Mat which I found to be a excellent upgrade at relatively low cost. So having given the Xplorers time to settle in and for me to get familiar to their capabilities. So after this period I can honestly say this is a Loudspeaker for me in every respect , as not only a beautiful room friendly design in a stunning Walnut finish but most importantly it's musical abilities which with it's air motion transformer tweeter which gives the sweetest yet smooth high frequency performance you could wish for and matches like a dream to Neats own mid range unit, Also the bass system with two units set in a sealed arrangement in a true Iso-baric arrangement, therefore the bass is so tight and accurate and quite unbelievable for a cabinet this size. And matched and driven so well by my Townshend Allegri plus Pre and Avondale Zap 250 with the (latest 230 modules) power amp. I listen to a wide range of Music from Rock / Jazz / Classical / Blues / Folk etc via both Compact disc and Vinyl which is my first preference but I must say the Xplorers sound just as wonderful on digital as on Record and are so well suited to all musical types I have played to date and like all good upgrades I have spent many late night listening sessions having discovered how wonderful these Neat's really are. And I believe in time the Iota Xplorers will become an almost legendary design from Neat Acoustics like the bookshelf size Petite.
That all sounds very interesting.
I'll have to keep an eye on these speakers.

advertisement

Back