advertisement

Near Field monitoring system

How about a single driver speaker? Unbeatable for desktop use. To be honest, I'd never been impressed by single driver speakers until recently, when I fell under the spell of some old Bandor 2 inchers. A modern alternative would be something like this: https://www.kjfaudio.com/product/tozzi-two/
I've not heard them, but that's what I'd be looking at first if I was searching for desktop speakers. With your BK sub, they could be perfect.
Yes, my thinking also. I have a pair of original Eclipse 508s, and also a pair of the Tozzi 2s and they're both fantastic at nearfield stuff. The Tozzis are better, overall, to my ears, but they're also a decade or so newer so things have moved on at Eclipse since then, too.

Yes, my thinking also. I have a pair of original Eclipse 508s, and also a pair of the Tozzi 2s and they're both fantastic at nearfield stuff. The Tozzis are better, overall, to my ears, but they're also a decade or so newer so things have moved on at Eclipse since then, too.
I’ve always had a prejudice against them. I think I read they can be a bit coloured though I’ve never heard any in my life and have also read that the balance of other qualities they bring, outweigh the negatives. What’s your take on them?

I’ve always had a prejudice against them. I think I read they can be a bit coloured though I’ve never heard any in my life and have also read that the balance of other qualities they bring, outweigh the negatives. What’s your take on them?
Pretty much as you say. Though I wouldn't describe either of them as 'coloured', just narrower in bandwidth than a 2-way would be, and somewhat limited as to max SPLs. But within those limits, they are, IME, something rather special. I think it's down to not requiring a crossover, so all those reactive, and phase-meddling elements disappear. The result is an immediacy and a naturalness which can still raise the hairs on my arms and neck, at times. The reduction in bass is not such an issue for nearfield, IME, and the benefits easily outweigh the lack of welly low down.

I currently have the Tozzi 2s doing duty on the telly (via a NuForce DDA 120amp) and the realism is a bit special, even for an unremarkable telly sound source. Plenty loud enough to give more than enough for telly listening on pretty much everything except, perhaps, the Proms.

Pretty much as you say. Though I wouldn't describe either of them as 'coloured', just narrower in bandwidth than a 2-way would be, and somewhat limited as to max SPLs. But within those limits, they are, IME, something rather special. I think it's down to not requiring a crossover, so all those reactive, and phase-meddling elements disappear. The result is an immediacy and a naturalness which can still raise the hairs on my arms and neck, at times. The reduction in bass is not such an issue for nearfield, IME, and the benefits easily outweigh the lack of welly low down.

I currently have the Tozzi 2s doing duty on the telly (via a NuForce DDA 120amp) and the realism is a bit special, even for an unremarkable telly sound source. Plenty loud enough to give more than enough for telly listening on pretty much everything except, perhaps, the Proms.
I see the Tozzi 1s are a keen price, the 2 appears heavier with same specs.

I think it's down to not requiring a crossover, so all those reactive, and phase-meddling elements disappear. The result is an immediacy and a naturalness which can still raise the hairs on my arms and neck, at times. The reduction in bass is not such an issue for nearfield, IME, and the benefits easily outweigh the lack of welly low down.

I've been wondering if it's the lack of a sudden bulge in the power response when the tweeter comes in that allows these little single drivers to sound so natural.

I see the Tozzi 1s are a keen price, the 2 appears heavier with same specs.
Yes Tozzi 1 a real bargain. Tozzi 2 is better (the numbers don’t tell the entire story) and the cabinets are a bit more sophisticated in construction, but as a way to find out for yourself, I’d say the 1s are a no-brainer.

I have mine mounted on a pair of cheap camera tripods from Amazon. Less than £20 for the pair.

A bit late in responding, but if money is not a concern, I can recommend the small Neumann (nee’ K&H) or Genelec monitors. If those are too expensive, the JBL 3XX provide adequate sound for much less money.

I use a set of JBL 305s as my computer speakers and am quite happy.

To be clear, the JBL is not the best small monitor I’ve heard - that would be the Genelec One series. The Genelec is, however, 10+ times the price of the JBL

advertisement

Back