advertisement

Near field enjoyment with Spendor Classic 4/5 amp ? ?

Hififriend

pfm Member
Hello.

New hardware Spendor Classic 4/5 speakers arrived yesterday. (Nominal Impedance: 8 ohm)

Possible amps:
a) Sudgen A21 SE Signature
b) Exposure 2510 integrated
c) Naim Supernait 2
d) Exposure 3010 S2d preamp+ Exposure 3010 S power amp (E) (Alternative Musical Fidelity M6i power amp (MF) )
e) Naim Nac 282 + Nap 250 + Hicap (overkill option)
f) Cambridge Audio A500 (vintage) (low power option)
g) Rotel RC-990 BX preamp + Musical Fidelity M6i power amp (MF)
h) Rotel RA-980 BX integrated amp
i) Sudgen HA-4 headphone amp + power amp (E or MF)

What do you think will be the best pairing?

Regards.
Hififriend

I would definitely put Rega on that list, and probably drop the Rotels, the Cambridge and the Sugden A21SE.

What's the room like?

Hello. After service from Rega apparently is very poor. No more Rega. It is nearfield, 1m from my ears, on my deskin the last 3rd of my living room, Spendor will be sitten on Isoacoustics Aperta. I do not buy any new amp, so I have to use my own from a) to i) from the list.

No room for some well-chosen tubes, in the preamp department?

Tubes demand pretty much zero maintenance in the preamp role, and they definitely add some magic to the sonic mix, IMHO...

A few glowing tubes might make a nice showpiece too! 😉

Last edited:
Hello.

New hardware Spendor Classic 4/5 speakers arrived yesterday. (Nominal Impedance: 8 ohm)

Possible amps:
a) Sudgen A21 SE Signature
b) Exposure 2510 integrated
c) Naim Supernait 2
d) Exposure 3010 S2d preamp+ Exposure 3010 S power amp (E) (Alternative Musical Fidelity M6i power amp (MF) )
e) Naim Nac 282 + Nap 250 + Hicap (overkill option)
f) Cambridge Audio A500 (vintage) (low power option)
g) Rotel RC-990 BX preamp + Musical Fidelity M6i power amp (MF)
h) Rotel RA-980 BX integrated amp
i) Sudgen HA-4 headphone amp + power amp (E or MF)

What do you think will be the best pairing?

Regards.
Hififriend
Budget and what genre of music do you listen to?

:)

No room for some well-chosen tubes, in the preamp department?

Tubes demand pretty much zero maintenance in the preamp role, and definitely adds some magic to the sonic mix, IMHO...

A few glowing tubes might make a nice showpiece too! 😉
A friend is building a tube preamp for me. I'll get my show, but Spendor apparently asks a SS

Budget and what genre of music do you listen to?

:)
With the Dali Menuet SE (I'll keep them) I listened to Pearl Jam, Paul Mc Cartney, Mark Knopfler, Jazz, some classics, Dido, and movies where a 3rd Dali center speaker is still missing, powered by Exposure 2510 and a Rotel processor for the 5+1.

I suppose I try all this with the Spendor as no room for 2 small pairs side by side, or I just make some space. Actually on both left and right sides of the desk are some tuners (Technics and Yamaha) with identical height, then on top comes the Isoacoustics Iso 130 stands with the Dali Menuet SE. Perfect ear height.

The Isoacoustics Aperta is eventually higher and the Spendor speakers are bigger and 1 kg heavier compared to the Dali. I hope it will be possible to drive both speaker pairs simultaneously by using different amplification.

15 hours per day, Focal XS Book active speakers are playing music, as I do not want any of my amps permanently switched on for my Dalis. I also do not want my Spendor attached to an amp which is switched off every day after 15 hours and that for years.

So for special occasions, intense listening (to avoid disturbing my neighbours) or for near field cinema, the amp and one of the speaker pairs will be switched on for around 10 hours, but not every day, even if the amps will not suffer.

I do not want an amp under load, when I am not in the same room for hours. I am very interested how cinema will sound through the Spendor Classic 4/5 as with the Dalis it sounded very good.

After 100 hours of run in, I'll try saxophone, piano and female vocals with the Spendors. Next week I'll get the Iso stands and the empirical studies will start with all kind of music.

My hypothesis is d) b) c) a) from best to worse

Regards. HF

If current models are anything like my 25 year old version, the more power the better. I use 250W Audiolabs.

Perhaps consider the Sugden A21 over the SE. Its a great match for LS3/5A so I would expect it to work well with the Spendor.

Can’t wait to hear your findings, I’ve long hankered after a pair of 4/5’s and your superb suggested amp list features a couple I’ve owned.
For what it’s worth; the Supernait 2 drove my Spendor S3/5’s to perfection and gave them some real “oooomph”! My Sugden just didn’t bring any bass to the 3/5’s party (unlike the Naim) but we are talking 4/5’s here, so could be fine?

Quad Artera and a passive pre amp. Or S/H equivalent.

If you’re listening to rock music loudly, this’ll give you the headroom to do it with smallish 84 dB speakers.

advertisement

Back