advertisement

Nazi

He was far, far more than a Lloyd Cole collaborator (in fact I never realised he was). Kluster, Cluster and Harmonium were three hugely significant Krautrock bands. I have to admit I didn’t realise he was old enough to have been directly involved in the Nazi movement (and as a child clearly can’t be held responsible at all).

The whole Krautrock scene with it’s freedom and total rejection of rules/formality was in part a reaction against the crimes of the preceding generation. Many had parents or family who were involved, but as I understand it the musicians themselves were mostly born after 1945.

Stockhausen would have been old enough, though it looks like he managed to avoid war (Wikipedia). It appears the Nazis murdered his mentally ill mother and his father died as a soldier.

Yes my Lloyd Cole comment about Roedelius was made in jest...

Imagine fighting with the Hitler Youth, then ending up in an underground Stasi Prison for two years after attempting to defect fron East Germany...

...only to wind up playing music with a bloke from Derbyshire who likes playing golf:-

lloyd_achim(15).jpg

Roedelius has had a fascinating life. I highly recommend the book "Painting With Sound".

BTW Stockhausen was a stretcher bearer at the end of WWII.

advertisement

Back