advertisement

nap90/3 converting from 230v to 110v

ethereal

hi thanks for reading my thread.

i recently moved to the usa and i didn't like the idea of running my equipment from an external transformer so i thought i'd convert them.

i converted my cd player in 2 minutes - i only had to desolder a link, move it and resolder.

now i was feeling brave and decided that i could easily convert my nap90/3.
i couldn't find any help on the internet so i thought i would open her up and see what i could see.

on the back of the nap90/3 it gives details of the fuse to use if you are using 100 to 120 volts so i figured that it can be converted.

inside the amp there are two wires connected to the power switch which go to the transformer (brown and white) - this i assumed was for 230v (there was a big sticker on the transformer saying - 230v :) )

coming from the transformer were two wires (purple and blue) they were twisted together but not connected to anything else. these i assumed were for the 110v supply.

the only question was which way to wire them? i didn't think it would matter.
i removed the brown and white and connected the purple and blue.

i then connected it to the mains and the led on the front seemed to go on (it is a little difficult to see in the daylight). i connected my nac92r to the power amp and it seemed to work - the led on the input selector worked - i could select cd, tape etc.

i connected my speakers and cd player and i couldn't get any sound out of it.

i then decided to put it back the way it was (230v) and use an external transformer. now the amp doesn't work at all.

i think i'll take a closer look at it in a couple of days when i have a little more time. it could be bad soldering (the conducting wires have lacquer on them).
i'm not sure if the wires that aren't being used need to be connected together or if this was simply a way of keeping the wires neat.

if anybody has done this conversion successfully their help would be greatly appreciated.

does anybody have any help with fault finding? what voltages should i look for at various points in the circuit etc

thanks a lot
mark

advertisement

Back