advertisement

Nap180 Minicap and Transformer Install

Good question, once located in position they actually look darker, which suits me just fine, one rack of that lot can be skin aging. I'll leave it as is, dont want to change the sound ;)

Well thats it for now :)

There's a couple of things left to do, but as I said earlier one step at a time so I will close it up and let the MiniCaps do their stuff for a couple of weeks:

1) Removal of SOA. This may be a longer term mod. Although very easy to do I will be working on other equipment / cables. Once they are all done and running perfectly I'll come back to this mod.

2) Feedback caps. Given that I buggered one and now have an electrolytic tagged on (hissbooo) I will have to come back at some point to revisit this. Again, I'd rather wait until the PSU has been fully run in before making judgements on what to change to or whether to just replace as is.

3) Long term I may go for a rewire/layout. At the moment though im not too inspired, it sounds ok as it is. (A real review will follow)

Things I have learnt:

1) Make sure all wires are connected. Hence blowing that poor tant at 3 x its operating voltage! I was really unlucky. I blew the fuse but had just for the first time connected the LED strip which I thought I'd blown as well (or was the cause) so pulled it out. To get to the screw to do this however you need to remove the 0V spade and dopey git forgot to put it back :D

2) Helping hands really are helpful. Dirt cheap off ebay but a life saver even if you only need them once on a project - they help me solder the three 0V wires together. The same guy was selling snips etc I got three tools and hands for around a tenner I think. Not quality but for the likes of me, excellent.

3) Maplin are still rubbish, especially when you need just one thing.

4) PFM folk are a lot less rubbish, in fact some might go as far as "Nae bad at aw". (Aberdeen folks words, not mine, im an alien)

Thanks especially to Les, Zener and Martin for help, a few guys for private messages expressing interest and encouragement (it helps - really!) and all the other guys posting help. And a special thanks to Ron (why is he called that ?!?! ;) for the help over the phone, top lad.

So the final picture. Mr Zen dont be too hard on me for the layout, in the end it was just much easier to do (I re used holes where possible to save drilling), less cramped and I do like the way the signal wires are kept well away from anything. Note the purple wires have changed to black and now have a much thicker cross section, just the wire I had lying really. Some purple was recycled for old times sake ;) Oh and note to all check out the sorry looking cap where the orange one should be, bad Brian.

180-10s.JPG

Hi Res

A sneak preview of the review : "... Confused Instrumental ... incredible dynamics ... "

advertisement

Back