advertisement

NAP135s v NAP300

Not really Darryl, its an incompatibility issue. I still have a soft spot for the Supernait, a cracking amp IMHO - with the right speakers!! (Proac D2s)

i suggest that the op decides if he wants an amp that can control the speakers properly or not.

some of the posters here seem to be worried more about a brand loyalty rather than a good outcome for the question.

Darryl

Please go away - you are just trying to start an argument.

no mick i'm trying to help the op get a truthful answer... not obfuscation and blather.

it seems naim amps can't really deliver here but people who like them are still telling him to use them... in my experience that will end up with a very unhappy person.

so it seems there is nothing wrong with naim amps it's the non naim stuff that's the problem....

Not at all. The discussion is about horses for courses and the OP has Shahinian Obelisk speakers that need more drive and control than what Naim amps can supply. Possible exception with the NAP500 as someone on pfm used two to drive his Shahinians.

Expensive solution though.

Cheers,

DV

Not at all. The discussion is about horses for courses and the OP has Shahinian Obelisk speakers that need more drive and control than what Naim amps can supply. Possible exception with the NAP500 as someone on pfm used two to drive his Shahinians.

Expensive solution though.

Cheers,

DV

i concur... i've never been satisfied by naim driving the bigger shan's... your much more experienced with them than me... i'd suggest the op takes your advice.

+1

I have 2 Naim systems purely because I like the sound. The bonuses are top notch quality, excellent after sales service, longevity and they are a good company to deal with.

Having said all that, if you prefer the sound of something else, just go for it.

Despite years of blowing Naim's trumpet, I have never said other products are rubbish other they just don't have the sound that I like.

I like ATC but not as much as Naim but ATC are still a superb quality product.

The only problem with some hifi manufacturers is their disposition to slag off the competition which frankly is nearly always a sign of weakness. Naim are possibly the most successful UK based manufacturing company and I have never once seen or heard them criticise another hifi company.

Long may that tradition continue.

Regards

Mick

Which Naim speakers do you use Mick?

Simon

The OP was trying to determine if the 300 would be an improvement on his 135 but apparently will not consider Avondale as a possible improvement. I and several others who have tried such comparisons have said it will not drive the speakers any better but that it will sound different. If you look back through the posts there have been a huge number of alternatives offered (except for the troll threads - who when put on the spot immediately state it must be the 500 - yes well - really if we could all afford such no doubt we would...) if outside the box is ok and before the moderator finally shuts this thread down. I would as suggested earlier, consider the Krell KSA200 (or indeed any of the older but higher output versions) as it is fabulous at working on such speakers, was an incredible improvement on the 300 and actually the 500 in my opinion (and system) even at its elevated age and is literally unbreakable. Plus there would be change for a recap if required. Trouble is the OP might just not have houseroom afterwards!

Either that or as suggested - keep the 135...

Much easier frankly

Seems to me, having followed this thread passively, that wonderful as Naim amp's are (and I've had a few up to 135s), they're not recommended for (at least) the Obelisks. Nothing untoward about that, despite them being happy with a great many other speakers out there.

DV has run his with bridged Meridian 559s, and I believe a single one beforehand. These are British, are from as good a company as Naim and are relatively cheap, esp. used.

Sure, other muscle amp's like Krell may well do, but does the o.p. really want central heating as well?

DV Have you moved? You mentioned 'house' ('concrete foundations') but I thought you were in a flat

Seems to me, having followed this thread passively, that wonderful as Naim amp's are (and I've had a few up to 135s), they're not recommended for (at least) the Obelisks. Nothing untoward about that, despite them being happy with a great many other speakers out there.

DV has run his with bridged Meridian 559s, and I believe a single one beforehand. These are British, are from as good a company as Naim and are relatively cheap, esp. used.

Sure, other muscle amp's like Krell may well do, but does the o.p. really want central heating as well?

DV Have you moved? You mentioned 'house' ('concrete foundations') but I thought you were in a flat

Nope. We have a 5 bed detached house a few mins walk from the sea. Been here for 10 years. Closer to the sea where the boats are moored are town houses and flats.

The foundations are concrete laid into shingle with concrete ground floors. I watched it being built!

As for the 559s when you consider what you are getting for less than the price of a s/h pair of 135s they are an absolute steal. Two separate mono amps in a single case. Each has its own 1.2KVA xformer and associate power supply with 20 pairs of 16A output devices.

Cheers,

DV

You must be labouring under a great degree of misinformation as I've
never worked on a CDS1 in my life - apart from supplying a few capacitors
to the DIY market that is.

I would add that anyone not enjoying my work has the open invitation to
return the item for reverse or replacement - without quibble - my reputation
is founded on this open handed policy and has been so for many years.

I'm intrigued as to why you (a) bought a CD3 from a seller either
without audition to ensure your satisfaction or (b) you became
disenchanted at some later point and neglected to contact me (if
indeed I had carried out the work in the first place)

Your story must, I regret, be viewed with some suspicion especially
as we only have the usual nom-de-plume for a title.

This shocks me a little... Les W is a true gent and goes out of his way to give free advice and help on here.. he IMHO is a true Gent and should have had a call at least to defend himself on any work done... His work is very professional and done to the highest standard... Now at least you can say sorry to this true gentleman

Nope. We have a 5 bed detached house a few mins walk from the sea. Been here for 10 years. Closer to the sea where the boats are moored are town houses and flats.

The foundations are concrete laid into shingle with concrete ground floors. I watched it being built!

As for the 559s when you consider what you are getting for less than the price of a s/h pair of 135s they are an absolute steal. Two separate mono amps in a single case. Each has its own 1.2KVA xformer and associate power supply with 20 pairs of 16A output devices.

Cheers,

DV

Where do you park the Aston?

If any of the 135 guys decide to move over let me know - I currently have a 250 & have been tempted to move to 135s

You could buy a second 250 and use each one as a mono block. Very close to a pair of 135s and most wouldn't be able to tell the difference............

Cheers,

DV

Is this a trick question?
I presume in his garage?

Alas not so! Although we have a double garage if we actually put two cars in there I couldn't get out of my XJS V12.

I no longer drive with just one weak eye and never got around to a DB5 let alone a DB6.

Thing is now I'm retired I could actually afford one! But then again where could you open up? I did take my XJS onto the autoban but never had the guts to cruise it at 150mph. Got to 130 and chickened out. Too old I guess.

Cheers,

DV

Alas not so! Although we have a double garage if we actually put two cars in there I couldn't get out of my XJS V12.

I no longer drive with just one weak eye and never got around to a DB5 let alone a DB6.

Thing is now I'm retired I could actually afford one! But then again where could you open up? I did take my XJS onto the autoban but never had the guts to cruise it at 150mph. Got to 130 and chickened out. Too old I guess.

Cheers,

DV

Besides, you don't need a wagon with all those bracing walks along the front, Lewis. Surely one of the best, I'd've thought.:)

advertisement

Back