advertisement

NAP 250 with Phoenix + Dragon Newts

What I call the Serenity mod is a change to the input biasing method in Naim preamp stages. It's small enough that it does not require PCB replacement, just a few additional components. It is also 100% reversible if that is ever required.
The input biasing method Naim use feeds half the rail voltage to the input to set the DC operating point, this is intended and desirable. Unfortunately it also feeds half the noise, this bad. The only preamp that does not do this is the 552, it's not the only reason the 552 is better than the 252 but it's no small part of it!

What I call the Serenity mod is a change to the input biasing method in Naim preamp stages. It's small enough that it does not require PCB replacement, just a few additional components. It is also 100% reversible if that is ever required.
The input biasing method Naim use feeds half the rail voltage to the input to set the DC operating point, this is intended and desirable. Unfortunately it also feeds half the noise, this bad. The only preamp that does not do this is the 552, it's not the only reason the 552 is better than the 252 but it's no small part of it!
Fascinating, I learnt something! What a great fount of knowledge you are.

Thanks JJ. Plenty of food for thought!

Presumably Naim left it like that so they could sell ever more elaborate power supplies to isolate the preamp sections from each other.

Hi
Took a bit of running in , first day fab improvement in definition , next day flat dull . Day after extra detail more base extension and slam , overall I'm very happy with it . Unfortunately currently having some power supplies serviced so without a complete system . Can I come back to you in a few days when the Pre amp has a power supply .
My 282 , bought ex dem is only a few years old so a service was not required .
JJ has and is servicing some of my gear and I have no hesitation in recommending his servicing as excellent and great value

Hi
Took a bit of running in , first day fab improvement in definition , next day flat dull . Day after extra detail more base extension and slam , overall I'm very happy with it . Unfortunately currently having some power supplies serviced so without a complete system . Can I come back to you in a few days when the Pre amp has a power supply .
My 282 , bought ex dem is only a few years old so a service was not required .
JJ has and is servicing some of my gear and I have no hesitation in recommending his servicing as excellent and great value
Of course you can. Thank you for the speedy response.

I’d love to hear how a super-linked, serenity-modded 282 compares to the stock version, which is already fantastic.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back