advertisement

NAP 250 with Phoenix + Dragon Newts

gidders

hifi enthusiast, golfer & photographer
A couple of months ago I was speaking with John Jackson aka JJ about improving the amplification of my system without swapping my 2 x 250s for 4 x 135s - I didn't want to increase the box count. My 250s have already been upgraded with the addition of Avondale HCR200 power regulators & John's Phoenix amplifier boards, sound amazing & outperform standard 135s so I appreciated it might be a tall order... but read on.

For those of you who don't know him, JJ is ex Naim Senior Test & Service Engineer & was Witch Hat Lead R&D Engineer before their demise. He is now operating under his own name as JJSThatcham (https://www.jjsthatcham.uk/) offering Naim servicing & upgrades. When I put my question to him, he told me that there was a modification that's he'd been thinking about for a while but not got round to trying - did I want to be a guinea pig?

The modification involved taking a pair of his highly acclaimed Dragon Newts (which will elevate the performance of your Hicap or Supercap) tweaking them to produce +/-42 volts rather than +24 and using them to power a specific section of the Phoenix boards, which would benefit from these ultra-low noise power regulators.

So I took a deep breath, put my system back to passive & handed one of my amps over. The development had to overcome a couple of hurdles. The first build of the 42 volt Newts wasn't a quiet as John wanted, but a redesign solved that. Secondly a variation to ensure PSUs start up safely in all conditions caused another issue but that was soon resolved. And about ten days ago John called me to say my amp was ready for collection.

AITFw-xI71kv9q_ZeZcvhuN8A95CVVIA2SclKGuizTLTxr2qz8K_UZwEfZAnYvadohMJIVn236O-yxnF74hcZP7sWxoJzFFEzw=s1600

Those of you that don't know my system may be thinking that, when I mention Aktiv & 250s in the same breath, there'd be something like a 52/supercap/snaxo/ in front of the power amps, and in fact there used to be. But the clue is in "Aktiv" rather than active. Now at the front of my system is a Linn Klimax System Hub which is a streamer/pre amp followed by a Klimax Exaktbox Organic which performs DAC & digital crossover filter duties. I found that the Linn Aktiv implementation is a significant improvement over the Naim snaxo. My speakers are now Kudos 707s although until recently I had SL2s with bespoke crossover filters created by Neil Hallworth / http://speakerfilters.blogspot.com/

AITFw-zJEWxeHbm5k_pv079U_ezEHpKxSE-c8ezf4WbpKHnwh61t-n2izaDuupTSkC7dp7I1fW4ijFRln9HloYvbknryWxi6cA=s1600

So how does it sound? I've initially left my system passive so I can easily compare to the existing amp. Straight out of the box it was obvious that the addition of the Dragon Newts had made improvements but now they've got 200 hours /10 days under their belt so I sat down do a serious comparison. I pulled up my Test Tracks playlist (link at the end) & chose five tracks. First up was Mary Coughlan - The Beach. It was immediately apparent from the open opening notes that the sax intro has more detail, more of a rasp to it. When Mary starts singing, the vocal has more air & is more breathy. The guitars are more distinct & more defined. Notes start & stop with more precision. But the overall impression is of a more musical, more real, more live performance.

Other tracks I listened too were Hanne Boel - After Midnight, ERA - The Mass, John Campbell - Way Down in the Hole & Nils Lofgren - Little On Up (you thought I was going to say Keith Don't Go didn't you). It was the same story. Snare drums have more snap, bass lines are tighter, there's more air round instruments, there's more vocal inflection & everything is easier to follow. On the ERA track the timpanis sound more - well more like timpanis & the track has more drive. The Nils Lofgren track while it's easier to separate the two guitars, the whole track is more poignant, you can feel the emotion.

AITFw-xkHE0WHIl62yAxYYV5rT247BzZ7TleTNpXXohnpw64hCcstUbFbZw0LVZtIdlUEKmWPbjQ7Fb6yQXOmtiTl6fMZxMG=s1600

To summarize, the modification retains all the PRaT that Naim amps are famed for and gives you more of the attributes you'd want - tighter bass lines, more precision, more decay on sustained notes, more shimmer & shine on symbols, airiness & separation, greater insight into vocals & individual instruments. However it manages to do this in a hugely musical & real, non HiFi sort of way. It sounds more like a live performance, be that in a controlled studio environment, on a stage or in your local pub. It sounds like the musicians are having just so much fun. Fantastic. Swapping back to the original amp (very briefly) & that sounded a bit dull & pedestrian by comparison, & bear in mind that this is an amp that out performs standard 135s.

I'm now itching to have Dragon Newts fitted to my other amp so I can go back to Aktiv. One point to bear in mind, that this is not a DIY installation because there needs to be some modification to the Phoenix boards & to the wiring loom. But if you've got Phoenix boards in your amp(s) I can't recommend this upgrade highly enough - talk to John about it. If you've not got Phoenix boards - even more reason to give him a call.

If you'd like to come & have a listen - PM me (I live in Birmingham, West Midlands)

Footnotes
1. Test Tracks
https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/7693858
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/5822bbac-97fc-4471-83bf-d6e284571a13
2. During the week John had messaged me to say that he was so impressed with what the Dragon Newts had added to my amp, that he was installing them in his amps.
3. I was doing my yoga workout this morning, feeding my laptop output into my system. The instructors are filmed in a disused warehouse & it was the first time I'd heard that slightly echoey acoustic you get in those buildings.

AITFw-yiJDLCldLMMejjQ95RfMLGrfiRCqQzt3dgDBQ1rsLBXV5FbLjbhRlZuY2l8rCW_jeoA0MZ6oG6V6_VR4hkXmZ4N0EJaQ=s1600

Thanks for a very interesting writeup, as the product fills in a hole in the market, for a tiny front-end supply for power-amp boards, that’ll go at the back of most Naim cases. JJ’s website is a bit sparse, as it doesn’t yet list any products for sale. Hopefully he’ll get around to sorting that soon. I’m using the Dragon Newts in my Hicap and I recommend them very highly. I’m assuming the board will be made available as a DIY item? Ideally it'd have an adjustable output voltage.

JJ fitted Phoenix boards to my Nap 250 last week , I'm very impressed . I asked JJ if there was anything else he could do and he told me that he had a customer beta testing this mod . It's interesting to see where he put the boards .I have an XPS that I want to have Dragon Newts fitted to and I would like to run the Phoenix boards in for a little while , they are still getting better each day .

Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
Same as done on Avondale Voyagers, NCC300 and the new SE400 then (and probably others too) - separately-regulated front end. I've been doing the same to Naim amps myself for years, with the right regulator it's an excellent upgrade.

Glad to see this post. I have Dragon Newts in a Supercap and Phoenixes in 4x135s and together with the servicing JJ did some years back the system is so energetic and compelling I cannot get over it. I’m also using a super linked 82.

I have Dragon Newts in a Supercap and Phoenixes in 4x135s and together with the servicing JJ did some years back the system is so energetic and compelling I cannot get over it. I’m also using a super linked 82.

Get JJ to add Dragon Newts to your 135s - it will take them to another level

Thanks for a very interesting writeup, as the product fills in a hole in the market, for a tiny front-end supply for power-amp boards, that’ll go at the back of most Naim cases. JJ’s website is a bit sparse, as it doesn’t yet list any products for sale. Hopefully he’ll get around to sorting that soon. I’m using the Dragon Newts in my Hicap and I recommend them very highly. I’m assuming the board will be made available as a DIY item? Ideally it'd have an adjustable output voltage.
Hi folks JJ of JJS here, I am not planning to have a web shop for the boards I make for the time being. I would rather talk to you first about what you are trying to achieve and how I can help you get there. If the best solution is for me to send you boards to fit yourself then that's what I'll do.

Hi folks JJ of JJS here, I am not planning to have a web shop for the boards I make for the time being. I would rather talk to you first about what you are trying to achieve and how I can help you get there. If the best solution is for me to send you boards to fit yourself then that's what I'll do.

Are you based in Thatcham, West Berkshire?

I’m intrigued about the Dragon Newt in the 135 idea mentioned above. I wasn’t aware that was ‘a thing’. Is that alongside the Phoenix or instead of? What’s the advantage? It’s not something that was previously offered AFAIK.

I’m intrigued about the Dragon Newt in the 135 idea mentioned above. I wasn’t aware that was ‘a thing’. Is that alongside the Phoenix or instead of? What’s the advantage? It’s not something that was previously offered AFAIK.

See the first photo of my original post - its an additional board that powers part of the Phoenix board. It's a brand new development.

I suggest you read my original post in full - it gives you the background & the benefits rather than me restating them all here

@gidders - thanks. I’d seen the post but was hoping JJ might explain in more detail why it works. This isn’t something that was offered under the WH umbrella and I’m wondering if the benefits are still there if you have Dragon Newts upstream in, say, a Supercap or two (which I do) or if the experimentation you underwent means we now know it should just be fitted to all power supplies including those in CDPs for example.

@Calamity Jack Ah, Ok. No it wasn't something that Witch hat offered - JJ has developed this recently using one of my 250's as a test mule. This implementation is separate to that of DNs in any power supply which power things upstream of them - not the power amps.

As I understand it, in this case the DNs power part of the Phoenix circuit - the "small signal" stages of the power amp. These are the sections where low noise and low distortion are really important, and DNs excel in this area. The original Naim regulator boards in the 250 are relatively crude, and not best suited to this purpose. The Naim boards are re-purposed and slightly modified to be used solely for the output stage of the 250, where they are actually much better suited than the small signal stage. So we end up with an amp with two sets of regulators, each set being well-suited to the specific task.

Best thing is to give JJ a ring

@gidders - thanks. I’d seen the post but was hoping JJ might explain in more detail why it works. This isn’t something that was offered under the WH umbrella and I’m wondering if the benefits are still there if you have Dragon Newts upstream in, say, a Supercap or two (which I do) or if the experimentation you underwent means we now know it should just be fitted to all power supplies including those in CDPs for example.
Good questions,
Why does it work? The PSU in the 250/135 cannot be perfect despite being regulated, some portion of the signal is modulated into the supply rails. This modulated signal on the rails can then feed into the input stage of the power amp affecting it's performance. Having a clean PSU dedicated to supplying the input stages eliminates this.
As a side note, many manufacturers will only regulate the PSU for the input stages and leave the output stage unregulated.

advertisement

Back