advertisement

Nap 250 cable to 135

Milspec1

I currently have two 3 pin XLR to 4 pin din cables. Is changing these to use on a pair 135’s as simple as an soldering left or right wire from one pin on the XLR side or is there something more to it?

There is no need to alter the cables, simply plug one cable into one amp's INPUT CH1 (aka Lch, meaning this amp will then output Lch only), with the other cable plugged into the other amp's INPUT CH2 (aka Rch).

The later 135 cable was the same 3 core wire but with the unneeded core cut off at both ends, I presume so it doesn't act like an ariel.

Even better. Is there any better sound quality to having mono cables?
Mono 135 cables was something Naim staff were using in their own systems before it became a product. The choice of cable was somewhat determined by the early preamp output/gain stage (NA321) not being great at driving. Later NA321 stages had a Miller capacitor added, which helped a lot too. Many manufacturers use a series resistor (47 -100 ohm) Naim no not although this is also a good fix for misbehaving NAXOs.

Reactions: MJS
The "mono" modification effectively eliminates an unterminated twisted pair which is otherwise connected to the pre out. a slight "zing" is eliminated from the sound as a result.

The cable itself can be upgraded. The standard thing is just a piece of mains flex. I've been using 1.5mm2 Van Damme studio grade speaker cable for many years.

I modified my cables and it is working. What I had not realized was the snaps powering my 32 was really not made for mono amps. The long term goal will be to get a 32.5 ( when one becomes available ) and use my hicap. At that point getting the correct cable should be a bit easier I will try and make a better cable using mogami 2552 wire. Van Damme cable is not readily available here in the US.

advertisement

Back