advertisement

NAIT v my FlatNAC72/ZAP250

No, the nait 2 has its phono stage implemented in the mainboard, it's no card though.
The 72 has phono cards you can change...so you can't give a mc phono card to a nait2 if that's your question.

So I'd second flat's suggestion & I feel you enter a different level of performance with 72/140 (at least with a ls like the kan- no experience with others)

I guess the VFM of 72/140 is also quite better as the nait seems to get a little mad with the prices atm.
And...I'd strongly recommend any kind of ps, as it get's so much better.

PS is a no go, hence the comparison between the two.

MC will be dealt with via a step up either way so that isn't really an issue, I meant are the two stages similar in performance or is one better than the other?

So, just to be sure I got you right:
You want to use an mc cart, but to add a ps to the 72 is a nogo ?

Well...I don't think its such a good idea to go into the mm stage of a nait2 with an mc via stepup because it's I guess a little off balance this way.

The nait surely has it's little weaknesses as well, one of them being that it lacks the very last tad of precision if you want to take it really far.
So, that's exactly the strength of a good mc to deliver finest detail, resolution etc. & I don't see *that* much sense in spending lotsa money for those qualities in the mc to loose most, or a lot of them in the amp then.

I guess there's a reason why there's mm cards fix in the nait2.

Are you serious about this ?

One thing I noticed when I briefly had a Nait2 (Before the prices went bonkers) The high output of dac's/cd-players was too high for the Nait and as a result the volume pot was always low and this gave channel imbalance. Also just the slightest knock on the volume knob sent it really loud.

I'm not sure if this is fix-able with a little diy however?

Stunning and as funky as you can get.

It's such a shame the new range Naim isn't of a similar breed although I haven't heard the NaitXS.

edit. I'm sure there are stunning parts to the new Naim range also I just meant that the sound has changed a lot from the Nait2

So, just to be sure I got you right:
You want to use an mc cart, but to add a ps to the 72 is a nogo ?

Well...I don't think its such a good idea to go into the mm stage of a nait2 with an mc via stepup because it's I guess a little off balance this way.

The nait surely has it's little weaknesses as well, one of them being that it lacks the very last tad of precision if you want to take it really far.
So, that's exactly the strength of a good mc to deliver finest detail, resolution etc. & I don't see *that* much sense in spending lotsa money for those qualities in the mc to loose most, or a lot of them in the amp then.

I guess there's a reason why there's mm cards fix in the nait2.

Are you serious about this ?

Well I'm downgrading so already have the MC and step-up so it's no hassle.

All I wanted was an answer as to whether the phono stages are the same, not a lecture on whether I'm serious or not.

One thing I noticed when I briefly had a Nait2 (Before the prices went bonkers) The high output of dac's/cd-players was too high for the Nait and as a result the volume pot was always low and this gave channel imbalance. Also just the slightest knock on the volume knob sent it really loud.

I'm not sure if this is fix-able with a little diy however?

It is...

If you think it's good in stock form you should hear it after a few choice mods...it'll blow your mind to hear just how good the NAIT and NAIT2 can be...

Neil, I'm sure you're correct. But there's something very satisfying about owning an original JV red LED, smooth knob, NAIT that makes me want to keep it untouched. It was not disgraced by the incumbent system.

Anyone had an Original NAIT serviced by Darren@ClassA? Just wondered what the cost is and how it was improved.

And YES, I know I could do it myself but in this instance I don't want to. Its just too precious to muck about with.

My MINT VKans arrived today (£130!). I'll have a listen and report. They look like single wired Tukans with better drivers.

I can give you e-mail addresses of a few people if you want, cost is £110.00, do it whilst you wait if you bring it to me as you are not too far away....

Darran

Darran did mine a couple of years ago. You get to sample the delights of Sheffield for a couple of hours. The best thing is getting home again with a fantastic amp that`s not going to need servicing for another 10 years - by which time it might be worth a thousand.

Interested to hear of the expensive speaker choices above (Audio Physic etc).
I`m currently running Neat Mystiques and I might throw a lot more money at speakers after harvest this year. Any more unusual suggestions?

Paul.

I can give you e-mail addresses of a few people if you want, cost is £110.00, do it whilst you wait if you bring it to me as you are not too far away....

Darran

Hi Darren.

I'm in York so I could come down with it. I'll PM you with some dates when I can make it.

Thanks

Andrew

advertisement

Back