advertisement

NAIT v my FlatNAC72/ZAP250

flatpopely

Prog Rock/Moderator
I am taking the NAIT home this bank holiday and I am going to put it in my system in place of the 72/ZAP.

Lets see..........

flatpopely,

Running Saras or speakers with a more benign load?

Joe

I borrowed a Nait 1 for a weekend to drive my 'Briks and was stunned how good it was. None of the harshness at all, as it soft clipped so graciously. All that happened was the sound gently compressed and didn'y get any louder. It didn't get very warm either - naits never did as I recall.

The nait 2 may be a better all rounder in the real world, but a good mk1 is still a lovely little thing once checked and re-set up. I liken it to an eighties version of the Rogers Cadet III I once owned.

I'm very fond of the little Nait, believe it or not and this, together with the 135's, were my favourites of the CB era.

This little amp should still sound funky with the Sara's, but don't be tempted to wind the volume up very high...

I have very fond memories of my old Nait too. In a small room through a pair of point 5s and then Epos14s.

I should never have sold that little amp on, really I shouldn't.

It was replaced with a 32.5 and a 160, the same funk but more power...

I'm currently using it in my office with some Tukans via an iPod (256VBR AAC from vinyl rips at 96KHz 48Bit), sounds good.

The nait2 on my selfmade pseudo-saras was enough to make my mates run for their mamas while crying in the 90s...

:D

Sigh...I think I know what you mean, chiily...things were somehow less complicated by then...

Well THAT was interesting.

Just put the NAIT into my system. To cut a long story short, its an astonishing amp!
One good thing was that the FlatNAC72/ZAP250 still retain the 'classic' JV NAIM sound. They sound better than the NAIT in terms of bass resolution/power and vocal projection.
As for the rest of the sound/musicality the NAIT is pretty damn close.
I rather suspect that If I had heard the NAIT against my unmodded 72/NAP90.3 the NAIT would have won!!

If you have one, don't sell it!!!!

Yeah, that was interesting. I rank the Nait -- the 2 in particular -- as one of Naim's greatest products and amongst the best integrateds I've heard, but would have thought it would choke trying to drive original piggy-load Saras.

Might have to try one again sometime, even though it's likely to be far from ideal with old Tannoys.

Joe

My favourite Naim amps are:

Nait 1 & Nait 2.
32.5 / Hicap / 250.
52 / SC / 250.

IMO the stuff in between just isn't worth the jump. In fact unless you need the additional power the Nait may be all you need - I went from a 32.5 / Hicap / 250 down to a Nait using Kans without the slightest issue. I'd ended up with the Nait one in a second hand deal, plugged it in to make sure it worked and concluded I could happily live with it - the Nait does the 'Naim thing' just fine to my ears, and does it without harshness or grain. I'd be interested to hear a Nait 5i - if that's as good as the original Nait and more powerful then it may negate my second two recommendations!

Tony.

I once owned a 52/SC/250 at the same time as a Nait 2 (CB). I tried both into Audiophysic Virgo mkIII speakers, which are fairly sensitive.

Upshot was that the Nait 2 ran the 52/SC/250 so close for the fundamentals (i.e. musical enjoyability and fun) that I promptly sold the bigger system. The 52-based amps had more detail and airiness, and a bit better bass grip, but with the speakers I had then that was all they really offered, other than a remote control...

Nait 2 is a great amp when paired with high efficiency speakers IMHO.

My favourite Naim amps are:

Nait 1 & Nait 2.
32.5 / Hicap / 250.
52 / SC / 250.

IMO the stuff in between just isn't worth the jump. In fact unless you need the additional power the Nait may be all you need - I went from a 32.5 / Hicap / 250 down to a Nait using Kans without the slightest issue. I'd ended up with the Nait one in a second hand deal, plugged it in to make sure it worked and concluded I could happily live with it - the Nait does the 'Naim thing' just fine to my ears, and does it without harshness or grain. I'd be interested to hear a Nait 5i - if that's as good as the original Nait and more powerful then it may negate my second two recommendations!

Tony.

Chaps

I am inclined to agree with this. I have a 32.5 / Hicap / 250 in the dinning room and it sound excellent and I am unlikely to ever change it. It is just a well put together combination.

Many years ago, I ran the 32.5 and Hicap into a 140 to power some Saras and once again it was an excellent match.

Regards

Mick

It may have been to your ears Mick, but this combo (different samples of product over the years) gave me a headache whenever I ran it. I never cared much for the 140, let alone the 110, 'orrible little yappy thing...

The Nait 2 was responsible for me getting on the Naim band wagon and spending thousands on Naim kit.....

I demmed it for hours against every leading amp costing around the same in the 80's although underpowered, it had 'that Naim magic'.

I'm too became a "Nait believer" when a Nait II turned everything upside down, against my mega buck tube setup in 1990-91 - in many ways this little box was soo much better to play music.
If source is first class, a higher - say 72/HC/250 quite clearly gives more, only yourself can say if its VFM.
Even from Kabers I could downgrade from this combo to Nait - keeping the music via my LP12.
There is a reason why they fetch big money on epay

advertisement

Back