advertisement

Nait 5i repair

say it as it is

pfm Member
Hi can anyone point me a good place to get a very low hours Nait5i repaired?

issue apparently is known to Naim , randomly switching inputs when in use, have tried blocking off the remote id not that apparently its a board needs changing?

Tried Class A as they would have to contact Naim for parts they advises I send it to the factory.

issue is at £300 plus it makes it an expensive 5i and they don't go for much even mint ones like this.

looking for suggestions for anyone who can diagnose and fix this at sensible money

cheers

Surely it must be possible to bypass the input selector circuit and thereby convert it to a single input amp... for nowt.

have emailed Naim as its a known fault but expect the usual reply.

I have not touched it as i kind of gave up on it after I learned the costs of repair

Surely it must be possible to bypass the input selector circuit and thereby convert it to a single input amp... for nowt.
Hmm. An integrated amp with no input selection and no tone controls...

what-would-you-say-you-do-here.jpg

:D

Does anyone know what actually fails?
I read somewhere that an opto isolator needs replacing - that's not a £300 job unless it's obsolete.
Optos do wear out!

FWIW, to covert to a single input amp no tracks should need cutting. Just a couple of wire links added... so reversible if needed.

And who's had tone controls since 1976??? It's not a firkin music centre! :D

And who's had tone controls since 1976??? It's not a firkin music centre! :D
Luxman, Denon, Yamaha, McIntosh, Rotel, NAD, Sony, Accuphase, Quad, Marantz, etc.

Is the anti-tone control movement a predominantly UK thing? Thou shalt only tweak your sound with cables? :D

well i will wait until Naim get back to me but yes common fault the are aware of it the octocoupler.

Class A reckon it would need parts from Naim?

if i get quoted silly prices I will be asking a few of you on here for advice

I see this part mentioned as being suitable "optocoupler Vishay CNY74-4" but you would have to open it and see what is fitted in yours. Cheap part and fairly easy repair if indeed that is the problem.

Is the anti-tone control movement a predominantly UK thing? Thou shalt only tweak your sound with cables? :D
Yes, part and parcel of the flat earth Linn /Naim thing. If ever a magazine got an amplifier to review with tone controls they would spend paragraphs moaning about it rather than pushing the bypass button, or heaven forfend actually use them to improve a dodgy recording!

I see this part mentioned as being suitable "optocoupler Vishay CNY74-4" but you would have to open it and see what is fitted in yours. Cheap part and fairly easy repair if indeed that is the problem.

I will be honest I have no idea what I am looking for let alone fit it haha see how much Naim want to look at

thank you for the info when they get back to me I will decide from there

ps how much does this cost and how much to get it fitted see how it compares to Naim prices

I will be honest I have no idea what I am looking for let alone fit it haha see how much Naim want to look at

thank you for the info when they get back to me I will decide from there

ps how much does this cost and how much to get it fitted see how it compares to Naim prices
Someone on PFM could probably fit it. I probably could but I'm in Spain... Plenty of people like @linnfomaniac83 have skills!

advertisement

Back