advertisement

NAIT 2 Recap & Service

azman

pfm Member
In 2017 I bought a Olive Nait 2 at decent price (around GBP180). This amp never been switch ON since 1997, just sitting under someone bed collecting dust.

Upon switched ON, the logo illuminate, but no 2nd pop sound. After investigation, it was the 47uf cap for the muting relay. Replaced that and it start playing music again. The amp also missing the two big knobs. Asked around PFM members, and got PM from PFM member Mr Mark Packer and he kindly sent me the knob from UK to Malaysia, thank you very much Mark. The knob arrived in Feb 2018. I have promised Mark to create thread on this restoration, but I was stuck with health issue. Warded and treated for 6 months, then recovered, then covid come, got covid, etc.... But now I am fully recovered and can start the restoration again.

So this weekend I opened the Nait 2. So here I share some photos. Also take this opportunity to change the imbalance volume pot. This is more of a challenge due to tight space.

Current condition by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

Ready to service by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

New components by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

Vol Pot by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

Completed Recap by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

Cleaning case by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

Vol Pot wiring by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

Heat Paste by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

New Vol Pot by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

Bias Setting by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

Signal trace by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

Playing music by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

Good job. What does it sound like?

Naim has just released a new limited edition Nait at 3.5K so your Nait is somewhat a bargain I think :)

@azman - A fine set of pictures - and very nice work to replace the volume pot with something less antiquated! I can see this being helpful to many other members - simply because 'replacing the Nait volume pot' is a popular query - and your thread makes it very clear how to achieve it. Thanks for that.

In 2017 I bought a Olive Nait 2 at decent price (around GBP180). This amp never been switch ON since 1997, just sitting under someone bed collecting dust.

Upon switched ON, the logo illuminate, but no 2nd pop sound. After investigation, it was the 47uf cap for the muting relay. Replaced that and it start playing music again. The amp also missing the two big knobs. Asked around PFM members, and got PM from PFM member Mr Mark Packer and he kindly sent me the knob from UK to Malaysia, thank you very much Mark. The knob arrived in Feb 2018. I have promised Mark to create thread on this restoration, but I was stuck with health issue. Warded and treated for 6 months, then recovered, then covid come, got covid, etc.... But now I am fully recovered and can start the restoration again.

So this weekend I opened the Nait 2. So here I share some photos. Also take this opportunity to change the imbalance volume pot. This is more of a challenge due to tight space.

Current condition by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

Ready to service by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

New components by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

Vol Pot by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

Completed Recap by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

Cleaning case by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

Vol Pot wiring by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

Heat Paste by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

New Vol Pot by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

Bias Setting by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

Signal trace by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr

Playing music by Azman Mahmod, on Flickr
Good day
Excellent work sir!!!

p.s do not put in garbage the ROE 47uf/40v (preamp) caps his have a better sound
Check it again and save :))

That's an excellent job that. I've never heard a NAIT 2 in the flesh. I owned a NAIT 1 way before I started fixing and building stuff. I would imagine a 2 is much like a 1 but with more "guts"?

Indeed Martin! I would expect the Nait 2 to work well with the Fortes...

You can come and fix this TT100 and rid it of its buzz.

@azman - A fine set of pictures - and very nice work to replace the volume pot with something less antiquated! I can see this being helpful to many other members - simply because 'replacing the Nait volume pot' is a popular query - and your thread makes it very clear how to achieve it. Thanks for that.
Thanks Martin,

1st, need to drill 2 holes at the pcb for the wires go through to the top, 2nd, enlarged the hole on the front fascia for the ALPS pot threaded shaft, 3rd, using the small pcb board bought from Ali Express for the ALPS for neat soldering. 4th using dremel tool and file to make the ALPS pot shaft flat, to fit into the knob.

I would hazard a guess that the Naim volume pot is no longer available. The one used here seems rather chunky, a smaller version must be available? I'm looking for one for my Nait.

Good day
Alps RK14
But 100k :(

https://sl.aliexpress.ru/p?key=och1Zuz

53040462124_e60ae577e6_o_d.jpg

advertisement

Back