advertisement

Naim

Oldlady

Hi all I hope someone can help, I have a Naim Nac 62, Nap140 and a Hi cap, when just the Nac 62 and the Nap140 are connected everything is working fine, connect the Hi cap and it switches the Nac62 off, these are units that have been stored away for a few years, we had them working fine before and can’t understand why we have this problem, the cables are good as far as I can tell, they check out with no short circuit or open circuit, anyone have any suggestions please?

What voltage are you getting out of the hicap with it plugged into the mains, but not into the pre amp? Without any details a good possibility is one or more of the tants on the LM317 output has gone on the hicap.

Unfortunately I’m not technical, I was hoping that someone had already had this problem, the puzzling thing is that everything was working perfectly when it was packed away, I will probably just have to take it in to a Naim service centre, thank you for your help though 😊

Unfortunately I’m not technical, I was hoping that someone had already had this problem, the puzzling thing is that everything was working perfectly when it was packed away, I will probably just have to take it in to a Naim service centre, thank you for your help though 😊

I've had this exact problem and it was the tantulum caps on the output of the voltage regulators.

If you have a friend who knows about electronics, get them to look. Naim will charge a fortune to replace a couple of 25p capacitors (if that's what it is).

That’s great thank you, yes I do know people who can point me in the right direction, and in a past life I have done loads of soldering and unsoldering, I will ask thank you 🙏

Maybe the Hi-Cap is telling you it's not needed - a 32.5/110 sounded more engaging without.

Just enjoy the fun and simplicity of 62-140.

Anyway, are you connecting them correctly?

NAC62 (with link plug removed) <--- 5 pin SNAIC ---> HiCap --- 4 pin SNAIC ---> NAP140

Agree with DiBosco, a 62/140 is a very good combo. Can't remember off hand if the 62 can be powered from the 140, but if it can, go with that for the time being and find a friend with a soldering iron and a little knowledge to replace the caps, their pennies and Naim will charge you many hundreds. I'd put money on it being the caps.

I have to admit that it does sound brilliant without the hi cap but as we already have it it would be nice to use it, and yes that’s how it’s been connected, thanks for your help

Agree with DiBosco, a 62/140 is a very good combo. Can't remember off hand if the 62 can be powered from the 140, but if it can, go with that for the time being and find a friend with a soldering iron and a little knowledge to replace the caps, their pennies and Naim will charge you many hundreds. I'd put money on it being the caps.
Thanks I can solder myself, I just need to know which Tants are the problem, I’m going to look into this, thank you

If you follow the connection guide and it doesn't work it means the Hi-cap failed. Tantalum caps can and do short sometimes. More often the nonsensical Naim connection scheme is confusing lay people and the result is no joy. I met plenty. Old and young ladies included:)

Thanks I can solder myself, I just need to know which Tants are the problem, I’m going to look into this, thank you
There are only a few or a couple . You can spot them instantly since they are either yellow , orange or blue jewelry beads around the primitive 70's regulator type silicon devices with a heatsink jobbies attached

Best to let a trained professional have a go. You really don't want to get youself across those reservoir capacitors, as these can be lethal.

Best to let a trained professional have a go. You really don't want to get youself across those reservoir capacitors, as these can be lethal.
Don't use your your kitchen gas range to fry the fish either. PAY PROFESSIONAL AT THE CORNER BOOTH. Stay at home all the time and watch TV

Don't use your your kitchen gas range to fry the fish either. PAY PROFESSIONAL AT THE CORNER BOOTH. Stay at home all the time and watch TV
Not analogous. The correct analogy would be not to fix the malfunctioning gas range yourself and instead let a professional fix it so that you don’t blow yourself (and house, etc) up.

Not analogous. The correct analogy would be not to fix the malfunctioning gas range yourself and instead let a professional fix it so that you don’t blow yourself (and house, etc) up.
Analogous. The only lethal voltage is a mains voltage present in every open socket in the house. The voltages on the supply part of Naim PSU's are at ~30V something non lethal in ANY circumstance. It's the most primitive power supply ever conceived. it doesn't mean it is not effective. Brute force at the best.
And 220 V is only potentially lethal in very special circumstances . I survived 15000V and 450V DC stings are just an annoyance happening every now and then

advertisement

Back