advertisement

Naim XS2 upgrade from 5si

Which XS comes out on top - XS, XS-2 or the XS 2

Very confusing model reference with the hyphen in between ??

Naim & MA speakers are not exactly a marriage made in heaven unless you really do like a bright, aggressive balance.
I wouldn't try using different speaker cables as tone controls & I agree that maybe the XS2 is opening the window a bit wider, whereas the 5si was less revealing.

Which XS comes out on top - XS, XS-2 or the XS 2

Very confusing model reference with the hyphen in between ??

Quote from a thread on Naim forum regarding the subject
The original XS was released with the older style fascia.
Then updated to the newer anodised fascia and was denoted at XS-2 on the box to distinguish the older from the newer fascia although the amp inside was still the same, as denoted by the matching serial number and 'XS' being on the back on the amp.
However when the new Nait XS 2 came out, this is a different amp

Few weeks ago i compared XS2 and 5Si. XS2 has more power and better bass control, but for my ears 5Si was sounding better - more coherent, warmer, more musically.

I agree that you're pushing your speakers to the absolute limit. However I'll also add that when I upgraded my Naim 5i-2 I went with Densen B-110. The upgrade was significant with too many things to list. What was most interesting it is even more musical than Naim whilst it can drive more demanding speakers. If you fancy having a listen I'm in Sheffield.

Few weeks ago i compared XS2 and 5Si. XS2 has more power and better bass control, but for my ears 5Si was sounding better - more coherent, warmer, more musically.
I used to have the Xs2, i did comparison with 5si before purchse. found Xs2 better control with the bass and better music as well

advertisement

Back