advertisement

Naim with Tube Power Amp

I haven't tried Naim pre into tube power, so am not much help, despite currently having both (NAC282 and ARC Ref 110). I am very doubtful that the Naim would sound better than the ARC pre (with the ARC power amp, in my system at least), plus it would require new tricky cabling and shelf space to try the combo, so I may never experience it.

I do like my tube pre into SS power though, and I swap between tube and SS pwr amps every week or two for a slightly different experience.

Another couple of notes about the watts/speaker efficiency discussion (from a less techy perspective, so someone else could probably put this more eloquently or accurately):
- Speaker sensitivity is expressed by some different manufacturers with different units. My 4 ohm speakers are specified as 88dB, but that's actually 88 dB/2.83V/m, which I think means only 85 dB/1w/1m (i.e. even less efficient than I first thought....but I still like them).
- Most SS amps put out more watts when into 4 ohm speakers. Most tube amps don't. I believe my ARC Ref 110 tube is 110 watts regardless of whether into 8 or 4 ohms. My CJ SS is 350W into 8, or about 600 into 4. To make a fairer comparison with dynamics/grip/control, I would need a much more powerful tube amp. However I can't afford that right now, so appreciate the tube amp more for its other qualities.

advertisement

Back