advertisement

Naim vs Sonneteer - need a recap?

magentawhale

can't carry a tuna
Yesterday evening me and my mate decided to do some A/B comparisons between my NAC-102/HiCap/NAPSC-ish kind of ps/NAP-180 (on loan) and his Sonneteer Campion.
We both have been hifi enthusiasts since the last 25 years or so, and have frequently changed from Naim gear and back.

Listening started with NAC-102/NAP-180 hooked up to my ATC-SCM7's. It didn't sound bad at all, but it really started to improve once we'd connected the HiCap and NAPSC substitute. We noticed an immediate gain in bass definition, instrument separation and air. Voices became more clearly defined, and were presented with more body.

Next was a swap of speakers, replacing the ATC's with my mate's ARS Acoustica Celera. Again, a significant improvement. Instruments were portrayed in a more believable soundstage, and became more easy to follow.
Bass seemed to become more apparant as well, while gaining in control and definition.

Then came in my mate's Sonneteer. After we'd hooked the amp up, we were both staggered by the difference it made compared to the Naim amps. The sheer transparancy and 3D presentation of this combination was absolutely stunning, like we'd been listening through some acoustically non-transparent curtain before. Swapping the speakers to the SCM-7's again gave similar results, albeit less obvious than with the ARS speakers. Bass definition and image portrayal were far better than with the Naim/ATC combo.

What surprised us both most, I think, was the way the Sonneteer performed with the ATC speakers compared to how the Naim amps did. We initially thought the Sonneteer would have a hard time driving the ATC's, which are rather power hungry. Despite it's 35(?) watts, it turned out to perform significantly better than the Naim combo did.

The evening resulted in my mate having another beer to celebrate a small victory on his side, and me wondering if differences to this amount are normal. After all, there is a serious price difference in the Naim combo (with all the additional hardware) and the Sonneteer (everything bought secondhand, tbh). It also made me unsure whether or not to keep following the Naim route. I am not sure if the NAP-180 has had any service during the last years (if any), but could a recap bring the performance of the Naim amps closer to that of the Sonneteer?

All listening was done with a CD3.5/HiCap as a source.

I look forward to hearing some opinions!

And that's just the little baby, the magic continues and is breathed upon by the Alabaster, it's about time these amp are recognised for the magic they provide, do it once and get it right.

I had the same Naim pre-power combo (without the HiCap though) before I traded it for a Sonneteer Campion, about 8 years ago.

The fact that the Campion was their first amp around 1994/95 and that it's still available now in 2011 is one very fine achievement!
Too bad they don't have a remote, otherwise I'd probably still have my Campion.

Here's a video I took at a Sonneteer / AVID turntable/ PENaudio show last year october:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX0QVLtlAbA

The little Campion and Alabaster sounded truly wonderful with the small PENaudio Charisma speakers.

Did you read my thread on the Soneteer Orton with Harbeth C7's just last week? I agree with you very much about Sonneteer.

Then came in my mate's Sonneteer. After we'd hooked the amp up, we were both staggered by the difference it made compared to the Naim amps. The sheer transparancy and 3D presentation of this combination was absolutely stunning, like we'd been listening through some acoustically non-transparent curtain before. Swapping the speakers to the SCM-7's again gave similar results, albeit less obvious than with the ARS speakers. Bass definition and image portrayal were far better than with the Naim/ATC combo.

I had Naim 82/180 with Linn Keilidh and Sonneteer Alabaster with Proac Response 1sc at different times in the past. Your description of the Sonneteer is very much like my experience. The presentation of Naim and Sonnetter are very different.

There seems to be a revival of Sonneteer on the PFM :) Better late then never, their talent and reasonable pricing deserve wider recognition.

Judging by the responses and experiences thus far, I won't be able to archieve what I'm after if I'll keep (or upgrade within) the Naim range, even though the NAP-180 could possibly benefit from a re-cap. I was extremely lucky to find a used Sonneteer Alabaster for sale, which I've purchased without too much hesitation...
I can hardly wait to try it in my system.

Thanks

There's a s/h Alabaster for sale at Audiomarkt.de if anyone's interested. 700 euros, should be around 600 pounds. I have no connection to the seller.

BTW, where does this sudden Sonneteer hype come from? All of a sudden, everyone seems to be recommending them. Are these amps really that good?

There's a s/h Alabaster for sale at Audiomarkt.de

That's the one I bought.

Are these amps really that good?

It only took me about 5 minutes or so of listening to realise that they are, indeed. I've only had my current pre-/power combo for two or three weeks, and it's for sale again already since I really liked the Sonneteer's approach to portraying music. IMHO, they do all the PRAT one could wish for, combined with a high order of transparancy, high resolution and superb tonal colour.

advertisement

Back