advertisement

Naim v Rega

Joe,

I hear you. I wouldn't buy on faith no matter whose logo is on a kit.

Too many disappointments.

I love my Nait 3R especially powered from a Supercap. :)

A Nait 3 when I have heard one side by side with a 3R sort of sounded like bleh, tho.

I was surprised there was a difference but there it was...

OK interesting... the Nait 3 I liked was a 3R. FWIW.

The sound of Kan 1s would dominate heavily with either system and they'd perform equally well - or badly depending on your POV regarding the sound of Kan 1s.

Fully aggree with Rob, Kan's have no place in such a setup

Look out for suitable speakers and both setup will be fine, the amp is good I'm not a fan of the cd5i but it is made for the 5i amp - the Brio3 is fun but not the last word in solution and tight performance.

You may add other options ?
Creek & Roksan's

Have a look at the Saturn as well as the Apollo. For about £200 more you go up several rungs. I borrowed one to replace a CD5/FC combo while it was being repaired. Kept the Rega, sold the Naim. The difference was so great even my wife, who is tolerant but disinterested in such things, said I should change.

I run it with Naim amps and they work really well together. As folks have said above, more depth and detail - made the CD5 sound comparatively thin - mind you, I did love the CD5/FC2 and really enjoyed my music on it for the 5 or so years I had it.

K

The Naim CD players I've had are the CDi which was stunning and one of the best players I've heard; should you aquire one you run the very real risk of it dying and parts are no longer available or vey hard to find.

The Naim CD 3.5 I found a bit bright and grainy although quite fun for a bit but not for me.

I am also very familiar with the Olive CDX which is a very grown up player, not far off the CDi, weighty, detailed and smooth.

I had a brand new Rega Apollo which I liked although it's detail was not the last word.

Then a Rega Jupiter which I have just sold, not as good as the CDi but better than the Apollo and 3.5 by a margin.

I then put a Koetsu Red on my LP12 which made the Jupiter sound horrible by comparison; I'd hate to think how poor the Apollo & 3.5 would have been.

In place now is a Linn Karik III which I like very much as it has poise, detail and a very high quality sound which never seems to jar.

I have bought a brand new spare laser for when the day comes.

The Karik is a superb player, don't rule it out and you would have change to boot.

I have had MKI Kans. I have driven them with a 160, 180 & 250, they like the power and the 250 did the best job.

They most certainly gel with Naim.

advertisement

Back