advertisement

Naim System split

babolat

pfm Member
Hi folks,

I’m in the process of splitting my Naim system into two different ones, for many different reasons.

My system: CDX2, 555PS, Nac252, Supercap, Nap300

I’m going to keep my CDX2, 555PS and Nap300 are gone, I’m in the process of selling the Nac252 with its Supercap.

One small system will be Napv1 and Nap100, while for the “serious” listening I currently have a very good opportunity in terms of buying a s/h Nac152xs, flatcap and Nap155XS, I think the reason is because these XS products have been discontinued.

How can be considered such XS system? Is it a reasonably good Naim system? I just need some advice from you.

The nearest system, combo 202 and 200, is much more expensive and maybe not worthwhile.

Thanks for your considerations.

I have the astonishing 152/155/FC XS trio.

Yes, the 152/155 have been discontinued since early 2017.

Do a search of my posts on this and also on Lejonklou and Naim forums.

Best amplification ever had.

2,000 € for the trio is a serious bargain.

Which are your speakers?

M.

I’d suggest thinking about speakers that work well in your room first, and then looking at appropriate amplification.

I understand that companies other than Naim also make amplifiers too, if you’re open to that sort of thing.

I’d suggest thinking about speakers that work well in your room first, and then looking at appropriate amplification.

I understand that companies other than Naim also make amplifiers too, if you’re open to that sort of thing.

Good advice and well worth following.

I once owned a 122x, 150x and Flatcap 2x and it was excellent. The 152, 155 and FC Xs are the more recent versions and are supposed to be even better. You could also consider the Supernait 2, which is one box rather than three and provides more power. It may be more expensive of course, depending on how much of a bargain the Xs boxes are, but it would be a better visual match with your CDX2 and more flexible in terms of speakers.

Thanks to all your suggestions. To be honest, an integrated amplifier has never been my taste.
I mentioned the Naim XS items because I can have a very good bargain as part Exchange for the Nac252 and Supercap, that's why I raised the question.

Hi I used to run the very same system XS separates. I used the Flatcap on both upgrade slots on the 152. It is an excellent well balanced system which I enjoyed for many years. I ran guru junior speakers with this combo.
My main source was and still is vinyl.
Eventually I replaced the preamp psu with a Nac52/supercap. This really was a big difference. I was hearing far more detail in the music and began rediscovering old favourites again.
I also eventually replaced power amp with a Nap300 still with my guru speakers and to be honest the difference was disappointing. At the time not worth the money I thought.

I’ve not heard the 252 but I assume you will lose some detail going to a 152. If you choose the right speakers I do not think you will lose much on the power amp downgrade assuming your listening room is not huge.

Good Luck

Prem.

Will you miss the 252 / 300?

I'm a Naim fan since 2006 and I owned a lot of items. For sure I'll miss the 252 while, to be very honest, I'll not miss the 300.

I need to explain: my room is not big and I don't listen to loud volume, spekaers are a very easy load. Hence, my experiments with 200, 250.2 and 300, ended up with the consideration that is much more appreciated a better preamp or source.

Of course I'm talking about my environment.

Hi I used to run the very same system XS separates. I used the Flatcap on both upgrade slots on the 152. It is an excellent well balanced system which I enjoyed for many years. I ran guru junior speakers with this combo.
My main source was and still is vinyl.
Eventually I replaced the preamp psu with a Nac52/supercap. This really was a big difference. I was hearing far more detail in the music and began rediscovering old favourites again.
I also eventually replaced power amp with a Nap300 still with my guru speakers and to be honest the difference was disappointing. At the time not worth the money I thought.

I’ve not heard the 252 but I assume you will lose some detail going to a 152. If you choose the right speakers I do not think you will lose much on the power amp downgrade assuming your listening room is not huge.

Good Luck

Prem.

I agree on every single line. About speakers……… I have a very very good opportunity on a pair of Arivas, They seem to be small, easy to drive and they fit my new room that is smaller than the previous one. Not sure if they are a 3 way speaker. I'm seriously thinking at them,

advertisement

Back