advertisement

Naim, Surge Protectors, etc.

Garth

pfm Member
Hello all. I recently realized that I was overdue to replace my surge protectors for office and stereo equipment. Up to this point I have just plugged my Naim (32.5/90) amp combo and my Thorens TD124 directly into the wall - as recommended by Naim I believe - and my other stuff, Rega Dac, CD player, node 2i, T.V. etc. into a surge protector.

Am I putting my Naim amp and Thorens at risk by plugging them directly into the wall? I live in an area that very rarely gets electrical storms but high winds causing power outages in the region - though not my home so far - are fairly frequent.

Are there any reasonably priced surge protectors that will protect my audio equipment without degrading the sound? Or perhaps even adding some filtering of RFI interference? I should stress that I am on a tight budget so really need to limit myself only to devices that are very reasonably priced!

Thanks!

Fuseboard/Consumer unit get a sparkie to install a Arrestor for (Lightning/Surge/Overvoltage protection)
A Surge does not know the difference between your Telly or your Naim

Must admit that I don't know under which circumstances an electrical surge can occur sufficient to get through mains and case fuses and damage stuff. In 55 years I've never experienced one but I think I've always lived where leccy comes underground rather than on overhead (vulnerable) cables (rural areas mostly, I guess).

As Daytona suggests, although he's Stateside and with different domestic electrical systems to ours, it may be possible for surge protection to be applied at the incoming mains area. You may be worrying unduly, as I can't recall any reports of fishies having kit blown apart by surges but what do I know?

A surge protector is not a filter and simply clamps the mains if it goes too far outside the 240/110V normal range in your country.
There is no way it can have any effect on sound.

There is no official recommendation from naim, that is just hearsay from their fanboy forum.
Surges , Overvoltage , Spikes might not destroy your gear but will shorten its lifespan & naim would not want you to re-cap your gear

Last edited:

advertisement

Back