advertisement

NAIM Supernait 2 opinions

Disbeliever

pfm Member
Interested in hearing opinions on SQ from non previous Naim owners . are the reviews over the top. by the Naim owner reviewers 80 wpc & only a 400 Va transformer seem inadequate for the very high price. Not keen on the Wobbly mains input socket or DIN sockets.

I own an SN2. My previous IAs were the NAIM XS2 (70 wpc version) and the HK 3490. What do you want to know?

I've also auditioned McIntosh, Bryston, and Accuphase. All were fine. The one I did NOT like was Simaudio.

The power output is sufficient for most speakers likely to be used with a Naim amp, in most rooms, I'd suggest.

Driving a pair of PL100's, playing D & B, the SN2 was not even warm to the touch.

As for the "wobbly" IEC socket, it's like that for a reason.

You don't have to use the DIN sockets if you don't want to, but technically they are superior to RCA's and there's plenty of choice in DIN-terminated cables, so hardly a problem.

Yes, it's expensive, but then again, it's built like a tank.

Brilliant amp and more satisfying in its way than any of the 2 or 3-box Naim amplifiers I've owned - with the possible nostalgic exception of the 42/110 I bought in 1986.

I leave it on and the music just flows. My speakers admittedly are a bit difficult (4ohm, 86db), so with a more recent and more efficient speaker the amp will do all you need. The DR circuitry has a noticeable effect.

I've made use of the 6th input socket by getting Chord to make a 4-din in to phono Cobra cable.

Excellent amp which I use in a third system to drive Spendor SP100/R2s.

Good value for money IMO, can hold its own against amps that cost much more. Better sound that the earlier version, the SN1.

I should add to my post above that I am very happy with the amp. It is clearly superior to the XS2 I owned. Both are in a different league over the HK3490, a very decent amp in its own price class. I have been to many dealers that use the SN2 as their main demo IA. I've heard it shine with Dynaudio, PMC, Spendor, Avalon, and more.

That said it is a basic amp. Not too many bells and whistles. If you want those, I'd suggest Devialet at around 2x-3x the price.

are the reviews over the top
80 wpc & only a 400 Va transformer seem inadequate
very high Price
Not keen on the Wobbly mains input socket or DIN sockets.

Seem as you disbelieve in it from the beginning, why not go hear for yourself ?

Looking at comments here or there, people has gone from 252/300 setup to SN2 with happiness, others comment the SN2 is too much SN1 alike

I love mine, power, grip and musicality in abundance. Driving 90db efficient speakers, volume does not even approach the 9:00 mark for normal listening.

Add an external power supply (naim or non-naim)and you will get a bit more finesse.

An SN2 is on my "itch to scratch" list but I wonder if it would drive my Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II speakers (86dB apparently).

I upgraded from a NAC102/NAP180 because it just wasn't doing it, then sold off my NAC52/NAP135 kit a while ago because there were simply too many boxes and cables, but I did enjoy the "Naim sound".

I'm on a Devialet path now - unless I can be persuaded to get an SN2 and save myself lots of dosh. :D

An SN2 is on my "itch to scratch" list but I wonder if it would drive my Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II speakers (86dB apparently).

I upgraded from a NAC102/NAP180 because it just wasn't doing it, then sold off my NAC52/NAP135 kit a while ago because there were simply too many boxes and cables, but I did enjoy the "Naim sound".

I'm on a Devialet path now - unless I can be persuaded to get an SN2 and save myself lots of dosh. :D

Interesting, I would like to know how the SN2 compares with the Devialet, In a Home demo. I preferred my 20 year old Class AB amp 110 wpc 500 va transformer , to the Devialet Premier D. Anyway I will be getting a SN2 very shortly to see how it compares with my amp..

Interesting, I would like to know how the SN2 compares with the Devialet, In a Home demo. I preferred my 20 year old Class AB amp 110 wpc 500 va transformer , to the Devialet Premier D. Anyway I will be getting a SN2 very shortly to see how it compares with my amp..

I'd be very interested as well. Problem is - where I live (Algarve, Portugal) home demos are unheard of and a store demo requires a 2.5 hour each way journey to Lisbon. But both the D200 and SN2 have pretty much rave reviews all round, so I have to put some faith in that.

Plus, at my time of life (nearly an official pensioner) I can't be ar*ed with too much "stuff" any more, so one-box solutions are very appealing, and I'm prepared to sacrifice some SQ for convenience.

Shame I'd still need an external phono stage for the SN2 (I still crank up my LP12 occasionally) and would have to rely on my SB Touch internal DAC as well.

Think I'll just have another glass of this rather elegant Alvarhino I opened a while ago . . . :rolleyes:

It drives mine! See above post.

I use a Rega Aria phono stage. No PSU, very clear sound, flexible.

Everyone gets a bit cranky at that time of the month. Mind you I wouldn't consider one when a SH Teddy Pardo 180a, almost new, is knocking out on here at c £1500. There are one or two who have moved from 52/300 to that one box. Personally I bought a NAD M3 instead of all the above and would never go back.

advertisement

Back