advertisement

Naim stock power cable vs Branded

mikapoh

Hi all naim owners,

I would like to know how many of you have in fact changed its stock power cable to a more fancy brands like JPS, Van Den Hul, Supra, XLO etc. I suspect that many have done so but do you guys think that the Naim supplied original power cable is more effective than the after-market cables?

Some have used naim stock power cord to great effect.

Tried it, the best sounded no better than the Naim supplied lead, anything with any sort of filter devices etc. sounded worse. So I stuck with the kettle lead with Crabtree/MK plug on it! I did "hear" Naim's own attempt at a high end power cord and it did make a difference - the mechanical decoupling approach is very different to most of the sorts of things I tried and does seem to have a clearly audible effect. However, it wasn't the night and day difference that mags and manufactures might make out and the Dem was on a Naim 500 series system which A) one would hope is pretty revealing B) the Powerline was presumably designed for. I for one cannot envisage it ever being a cost effective upgrade for anyone ever, I think it's just there for the sake of Naim's 500 series customers, when you're throwing that kinda money at your hi-fi VFM clearly isn't a big concern.

I've tried both Kimber PK10 and PK14 on all my Naim amps and other sources and they now end up in the store room. Stock Naim cord goes back to the Naim. I concur with djftw.

No experience with Powerline.

This is very interesting. I have been using Supra Lorad power cord to my naim amp and the expensive VDH Mainstream to naim CDP. So, are these leads causing harm to my system sound? I dont want the PRaT is affected much. I will first try the amp by using the naim stock cord and see any effects.

A friend lent me a Powerline to try on my then system Eikos/Vibe/Pulse/Linear A. We plugged it in individually to each piece of equipment and the four of us listening all heard very significant improvements for CDP, preamp power supply, and poweramp. Not enough to make me open my wallet, but impressive nonetheless. I have kept my eyes open for secondhand examples, but haven't seen any for sale.

Nic P

As above I like the standard Naim mains lead with crabtree/MK plug.

It's nice that an £18 lead does the job very well.

I have the Supra Lorad in my system for more than 6 years now. It has been in and out of all my equipment throughout the years and consistently showed a soft and rounded sound, somewhat lacking in energy and dynamics. It had stayed on my subwoofer 3 years ago and had been there until today.

Mikapoh, I highly recommend that you try sticking the stock Naim cords on both the Naim amp and CDP and see if you notice any noticeable differences. Results can sometimes be unpredictable as every systems and ears are different.

Ok guys, just tested a few tracks by using the Naims cord on the amp but the VDH Mainstream stayed on the CDP. To be franked, did not notice any effect. My ears tell me a more neutral vocal albeit small fraction of changes. But my heart tells me no difference at all. It will be interesting if the Naim cord also needs some break-in period :)

Can't really tell at the moment. Maybe I dont have the golden ears. Since my friend, Ryder has suggested otherwise, I will replace the VDH Mainstream tomorrow. My Harbeth dealer also tells me to use back original power cord to maintain the raw sound. I guess I've to adjust to the look of the kettle lead and slimmer cable...

On the other hand, a local hifi dealer is using VDH Mainstream to connect all his Naim electronics. A curious note is he does not have to crank up higher the volume to achieve the same SPL after swapping to The Mainstream. Anyone has other opinion? (excluding Powerline which has proven record).

Return *all* of your equipment's power cords to the standard, factory supplied cords and don't worry about warm-up or dissecting the sound into tiny bits for comparison against your memory. Simply play a couple of your favorite records or CDs and see what happens.

A curious note is he does not have to crank up higher the volume to achieve the same SPL after swapping to The Mainstream.

It is indeed a 'curious note' because, irrespective of ones belief regarding the sonic efficacy of after market mains leads, one thing is certain - they do not make your amplifier more powerful (or efficient etc.).

Oddly, I've heard a volume level change with one particular aftermarket AC cord compared to the stock Naim cord. The aftermarket cord was noticeably louder than the stock cord every time they were switched. Even stranger perhaps but I preferred the sound of the lower volume stock cord contrary to what psychoacoustics tells us (the louder component should always sound better.)

The power line opened my wallet for the CDP, which came as a great surprise since the Hi-line had failed to do so. Tried the powerline on the S/C but it wasn't enough for a second wallet opening.

Steve

Hello guys,

I guess I have found the answered after taking you guys' suggestion into consideration. Using the Naim stock power cord is considered *better* (not best) for the time being in comparison with my aftermarket cords such as Supra Lorad and VDH The Mainstream. The factory cord gives out fuller and hence more neutral sound. The lose is a bit of control and noisier background sound. All these effects are not night and day difference.

Thank you guys. Any others have other opinions?

With Naim, the "hydra" is an improvement; not because of the components, but because of the method.
I use one I made, but there is a Grahams one (made from standard Naim cables anyway), and the Power Igel (which is expensive).
I've never heard a Powerline.

I have a Nordost Shiva which is connected to my CD5, haven't compared it in a test but it has stayed there as it sounds good. When I tried it with the Nait 5 it didn't last long as the stock lead was much better suited.

I have a Nordost Shiva which is connected to my CD5, haven't compared it in a test but it has stayed there as it sounds good. When I tried it with the Nait 5 it didn't last long as the stock lead was much better suited.

Since you are using the stock ac cord with great success with Nait 5, why not stick to it on the the CD5 as well? Pls try it for comparison sake since it is foc.

I got hooked on power cords a few years back and spent over a year subjecting my Naim kit to various brands.
There is no universal rule, it is a complete lottery. The same power cord can have a differing effect depending on what it is plugged into and some can have no effect at all. I worked my way through designs from Isotek, Nordost, vdH, Merlin, Music Works, and Avondale. The only universal conclusion I reached was that shielded designs squashed dynamics.

I sold the lot on and settled on my own DIY hybrid of RKR and Sid and Coke recipes to be found on here through the search facility.

For a bigger bang for your buck, stick with the stock Naim power cords and try an Isotek Power Conditioner (make sure its GII).

If however you believe that mains cables and additional foo are a load of old nonsense, just stay cool and be happy with whatever you are using.

Tried quite a few, Powerline down, but none that cost more, I refuse to contribute to people who peddle snake oil - £500 for 1m of a cable that connects mains power at the end of who knows how many miles of national grid - you cannot be serious.

PL was better than the stock cable, varied effect depending on what it was plugged into - as already mentioned.
But I prefer to buy 1x HiCap over the same outlay for 2 or 3 PL's, much more sound per pound by a lo-o-o-o-o-ng way

I now have a DIY power lead system of an 8 way MK double unswitched socket patch & individual leads cut & dressed to fit
The socket patch is connected with a 3.8mm silver plated teflon insulated screened cable - its a mil spec & not available on market.
The sockets are wired L&N in twisted pairs as a ring circuit, E is star connected
Socket L&N is supplied through a pair of 15a common & differential mode chokes. E is through an earth mode choke
The individual leads are Supra LoRad 1.5 except 2.5 to amp

Does it sound better - err yes - but thats not the only objective
I am all done & finished with mains cables - its tidy, it works & it sounds like it sounds better.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom