advertisement

Naim speaker plugs

FC united

pfm Member
Hi,
I have Naim speaker plugs on the amp end of my Naca5 speaker cable.
Question is, if I put some on the speaker end will it help me get my SBL's closer to the wall?
Even thinking of ditching the Naca5 as it's so stiff for maybe Avondale or whitch hat cables, any opinions?
Thanks in advance

It will more than likely gain you a little bit of room, as the cable will then be exiting right out the bottom of the plug versus coming straight out of the banana sockets on the speakers. I agree on the bloody stiffness of the NACA5, drove me nuts in some installations! I like the cable, but just couldn't-or didn't want to bother with the fussiness of it all. Bought some Linn K20 and kept on going.

Hi,
I have Naim speaker plugs on the amp end of my Naca5 speaker cable.
Question is, if I put some on the speaker end will it help me get my SBL's closer to the wall?
Even thinking of ditching the Naca5 as it's so stiff for maybe Avondale or whitch hat cables, any opinions?
Thanks in advance

Yes. That’s how I have my NACA5/SBLs wired. Currently got mine about half an inch off the wall (Concrete floor, no skirting board).

Bigger issue is having the Naim plugs also on my 250s which are sitting on shelves.....makes for a very tight bend at the amplifier end

Last edited:
Yes, as above, the Naim plugs make a lot of sense at the speaker end (precisely because you can get the speakers a bit closer to the wall), but are less usable at the amplifier end.

I'd second YNWOAN's view. Makes sense to have them the speaker end, but because of the stiff nature of the NACA5 it's not pratical to have them on the amp end, I just use good quality 'straight' speaker connectors.

Witch Hat cables are much more flexible. I both Phantom and N2 on different systems. The N2 is available with Naim plugs.

I've never tried it, but can't you make it more malleable with a hairdryer?

Using the Naim plugs should let you put the SBLs closer to the back wall but there is a problem if you've got fitted carpets. There is a carpet gripper bar that runs round the edge of the carpet to hold it in place. You don't want to have the rear spikes resting on that, they must go straight into the floor boards. This sets the absolute limit on how close you can get to the wall.

I tried Avondale speaker cable and found that it was better than A5 in all respects except PRaT, so I had to give it back to Les.

I suppose that's why Fraim was designed as it is. But what if you have Fraim Lite? Do they go down the hole in the middle?
I had an Olive 250 & the plug positions were a bit awkward but the later equipment is fine. I have no idea what a fraim lite is so I cannot help there, sorry.

Surely just turn them round and use regular plugs at amp end. Will allow a bit closer to the wall without stressing anything. Never like naim plugs at the amp end anyway, even on fraim

Oh shite Paul! Horror of horrors, are you suggesting...uh...the cabling not being used in the correct direction? OMG!!!!! Wow, there went your audiophile stripes man!:)

This forum of late is just like a person running around with scissors in their hand!

Naim should provide stick on arrows for their customer's trousers so that punters know which way their leg is being pulled at any given time.

Some on here will recall when Naim themselves were unofficially suggesting via their forum that the power input fuses were directional. No arrows on, one had to switch them round and decide for oneself. Naturally, this led to an outcry amongst those whom hadn't turned off their kit since they'd bought it (except for during thunderstorms and/or hols, as the manual suggested).

I wonder how many succumbed to suggestion? Of those, I wonder how many are still regretting having turned off their amps that one time? Were there any who tried flipping their fuses round without turning off first? What of NAIT and NAIT 2 users stuck in limbo all these years thinking that their fuse might be soldered in the wrong way round? It just doesn't bear thinking about!

Yes, as above, the Naim plugs make a lot of sense at the speaker end (precisely because you can get the speakers a bit closer to the wall), but are less usable at the amplifier end.

Yes, but NACA5 is so bloody stiff you can easily dislodge a conventional plug by moving the cable. Naim's plugs prevent this happening.

advertisement

Back