advertisement

Naim Solstice officially unveiled . . .

I’d also add that record players are a tried, tested and mature technology, some 60-70 year old ones are still held in exceptionally high regard (you’ll find one in my living room), so the Naim is obviously going to be very good indeed. It would be almost impossible for it not to be given the care and 70 years of available history/knowledge will have gone into the design, and the manufacturing is taken care of by a highly regarded turntable manufacturer. There is nothing to kick against here as it’s just a posh turntable, and £16k for a full deck, arm, cart and phono stage isn’t even remotely close to the top-end of the market these days. Is it “worth £16k”? Of course not, it’s a bloody turntable, but that is not the point and won’t be a factor to those that buy it. It is obviously a “bargain” compared to the SAT linked upthread, as of course is my 1965 TD-124.

The point I’m trying to make is purely subjective reviews at this level are pointless as it is going to be good and Alan Sircom is going to like it as it is good. If he’s not going to take it apart, take pictures, and show us exactly what technology and engineering is in play here it really is just someone saying something that is nice is nice. Same goes with Ken Micallef’s review of the TD-124DD in this month’s Stereophile. I can’t even work out if he prefers it to his original (with its famously bent top platter that totally triggers me on his Youtube videos)! Sadly there is very little to learn at this level as nothing is going to be bad. I’ll likely never get to hear a Naim Solstice just as I’ll never get to hear a 124DD or SAT, but I can’t imagine hating any of them. I can’t imagine thinking they were worth the extra over my painstakingly restored 124 either. It is what it is. Nothing to hate, nothing to get overly excited about.
when you’re on form Tony your insightful comments are top drawer

<moderating>

Post deleted. Please don’t bring arguments or hostility from other forums to pfm. The AUP is very clear on this one.

Oh sorry, it was just an opinion as I’ve never touched on the subject in any forum before. Can I put it this way.
Imo Naim never made a TT before simply because they couldn’t do it to a competitive level, the PR person(s) of said company is going all out and pinning the new TT to the JV era where to me the company’s new owners ideology is very different from times past, so the Naim forum is a very vigorously censored forum.
500 TT only to be made (at this point so “for me who cares” Through out the world the Naim dealerships have changed so the knowledge has been down graded (fact) and servicing is not what it could be unlike the past.
I certainly hope Naim do not stop making separates and just go to the one box units. I’m sure they will keep the 500 going though and S1 etc.
Is that ok?

There are 31 pages of perspective from many people , very few have heard one. I don’t see your posts bring anything new to the discussion.

Julian’s gone and Naims sold. I’m surprised the company has retained as much integrity and commitment to quality as it has.

There are 31 pages of perspective from many people , very few have heard one. I don’t see your posts bring anything new to the discussion.

Julian’s gone and Naims sold. I’m surprised the company has retained as much integrity and commitment to quality as it has.

So your the post police? My perspective as other people’s perspective are equally allowed to be voiced. You may have become “thread fatigued” but I find it interesting.

It’s amusing to me that folks get very excited about something they will never be able to own or even be in the same room as.
It's called aspiration and has been around for as long as the human race has existed. You are seriously trying to tell me that there is nothing in life you have ever wanted, yet you couldn't afford? You are either very very rich and influential or a stranger to the truth.

Well, there's lots of thing I've wanted but couldn't afford, but I can't say I've ever been excited about any of them. Interested, maybe, intrigued, possibly, but excited? Nah.

It's called aspiration and has been around for as long as the human race has existed. You are seriously trying to tell me that there is nothing in life you have ever wanted, yet you couldn't afford? You are either very very rich and influential or a stranger to the truth.
I’d like to live in this reality.

So your the post police? My perspective as other people’s perspective are equally allowed to be voiced. You may have become “thread fatigued” but I find it interesting.
Coincidentally, I've just emulsioned a wall with white satin vinyl. If you can get over here to Suffolk you'd be very welcome to come and watch as it slowly dries.

I find it far more amusing that some people become so obviously angry about such things. Are you by any chance an ex-Naim dealer?
Ha ha. No way! But if I was I should be shouldn’t I? Im a Naim fan in fact, love the product it’s in daily use in my pad. I own Aro and lovely Lyra etc. I’m anything but angry and I apologise if I’ve came across that way. I just can’t stomach Naim’s PR department selling “what was” “is what we do now” when it clearly isn’t. What they have done to some of the old school dealers is shocking. I know of one chap who had almost 40 years blood and tears in it and they just shut him out in favour of the big money company throwing around the wallet. I know I’m sure a big picture but 40 years guys come on. While it’s not my biff I still find it reprehensible to have such lack of loyalty to the Industry and the people at the coal face. A good Company is more than just a well built product wouldn’t it still need to be a ethical business?
Some things are more than the KPI, bonuses, and dollars and cents. How can I be loyal when they can’t be?
So Tony not angry just disappointed.

advertisement

Back