advertisement

Naim SL2 Speaker Foam Grill Covers ?

Tray

pfm Member
Naim are no longer making them so was wondering If anybody was making quality replacements ?
Mine have started shedding and need replacing .

Naim are no longer making them so was wondering If anybody was making quality replacements ?
Mine have started shedding and need replacing .

Tom Tom Audio do them, but the price is eye watering... £234 for the pair. I couldn't find anyone else who makes them when I looked.

I would perhaps go on to eBay and look at the foam grille sellers for speakers like the SBL and contact them to see if they can make you some. You may need to send them dimensions but it might we worth a try.

Perhaps @Markie can help? He does a lovely job of some SBL grilles and does other speakers too, not SL2s that I know of but worth a chat if the alternative is Tom Tom Audio and £234.

Thanks,
Rang James at Tom Tom earlier and the bloke on the phone didn't know if they had any ?
Said he would ring me back.
It's almost 19:00 and no call.

Their ePay shop lists them as available (7 sets sold, 10 available) with BIN at £224. What bugs me is they never show the underside, as one would like to know that some form of driver cut-out (either round or via raised edge) has been designed in, especially so, at the asking price.

For all we know, @Markie could be doing these for Tom-Tom Audio. He has always seemed eager to expand his range, anyway. If he hasn't done SL2 before, he'll be wanting all the dimensions, front and back. I'd include pics of each side and edge on.

Got a call back yesterday around 17:00 saying they don't have any and removing
from there site until they have new stock.

SL2s are an ongoing project. I've done a couple of pairs and people have been happy with them, but the attrition rate is high. To sell those couple of pairs I have rejected about 6 pairs myself. I've now got a new idea for making them, just need the time to try it.

By the way Tray sent me a message but for some reason I can't reply............. the "reply button" seems to be missing???????

Hopefully he will see this.

Hi Tray,

I've had replacement foam grill covers made for my Naim IBLs made by http://www.foamspeakergrilles.com/home and they were extremely high quality, fitted perfectly and still look good 7 years later.

They may well have a template for SL2s, they certainly had one for IBLs and SBLs, worth an email I'd have thought.

They took a few weeks to arrive but ultimately they were worth the wait. Don't be put off by the very basic website!

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Strangely, for IBL grilles, they charge $20 extra "for relief on back for drivers"; yet the SBL and DBL offerings include relief. If one goes for the IBL grilles with relief they are charged the same as an SBL 'quad' set ($120.).

My original IBL grilles have a 1" wide raised edge all round on back, with an extra curved cutout either side to clear the bass/mid basket. Their days are numbered, as they've been feeling a bit too soft for quite some time now.

advertisement

Back