advertisement

Naim shoebox complete budget setup

jamesd

pfm Member
As to not derail the Naim shoe box thread:

(I’m in the US and) I have a few systems going right now. Most have been downsized before having 2 kids as time and space are at a premium. I very much like efficient large drivers and SETs (think Shindo, audio note, line magnetic), but I’d also like to put together a classic flat-earther second system.

What would you put together as the best value/diminishing returns threshold assuming a:
Nait 1/2
LP12/cart
Speakers

Which second hand LP12/arm/cart?
Which speakers?

I have moved away from this stuff but have spent decades immersed in it. Also I hanker over a small stone cottage on a Scottish Island. There I would have an LP12 pre-circus, Ittock, Troika, Nait 2(CB) and Linn Kan 2 on dedicated stands. Just for old times sake.

Yes LP12/Valhalla/Ittok is best here , the one before Billy Smart got his hands on it.
Linn Kans for speakers.

The slightly odd thing, from a flat-earth perspective, is the efficient, large drivers point....

My preference would be for Rega speakers over Linns, but it's a bit less "classical" I guess.

Shame I'm the other side of the Atlantic from you as my late 80s pre-Cirkus / Hercules is likely going up for sale soon

The pre cirkus bearings to go for are the black body white liner and black body black liner ones with 4mm bolts and the glued subchassis.

Try to avoid the gold and silver bodied bearings with the 2mm bolts. Anything after 60,000 should be fine.

A lot of older LP12s got upgraded with Cirkus leftovers from later ones so serial number isn't all that definitive.

If you happen to trip over a MK1 Ittock with the thinner arm pillar than grab it with both hands. They somehow sound a lot better in those sorts of systems.

Late 80s Valhalla/Ittok LP12 with the new VM95-E
Nait 1
K20/Keilidhs
Ikea Lack tables
Interesting, do you think the Nait1 has the nads to drive Keilidhs properly? I know they’re not particularly insensitive but they do tend to benefit from an amp that can deliver a bit of current.

Generally any deck where it has been fitted as an upgrade will mention it in the ad, so if not mentioned assume not there.

I've got a black body white liner pre-cirkus bearing, subchassis and arm board for sale if that helps the OP. My dealer said it's in good condition.

I've got a black body white liner pre-cirkus bearing, subchassis and arm board for sale if that helps the OP. My dealer said it's in good condition.

Appreciated. Unfortunately I’m still in the planning phase, not the purchasing phase.

Late 80s LP12, Valhalla,Ittok, K9
Nait 2 (olive)
Royd Coniston R, Eden or Sintra
Kan or Royd stands
Sound Org table
K20 cable

Interesting, do you think the Nait1 has the nads to drive Keilidhs properly? I know they’re not particularly insensitive but they do tend to benefit from an amp that can deliver a bit of current.
Yeah, I think they work really well. They are particularly good with the Nait 1 which can sound a bit thin in one of my rooms. Keilidhs provide some deepish bass that helps balance out the sound. I've driven Keilidhs with much more powerful amps and dont feel the Nait is struggling to drive them.

I also like the Katans with Nait 1 / 2. More refined but Keilidhs offer better controlled bass. Maybe Ninkas offer both but not tried them with the Naits yet.

advertisement

Back