advertisement

[WTD] Naim SBL Gasket Kit

Whaleblue

Southbound
Or parts thereof if I can pull a set together!

Just got a set of (very) late Mk2.5s in Walnut, and would like to do the job 100% properly, so need the aluminium pads, staples and gaskets themselves.

I did it myself twice. At Naim they say to be careful not to pierce the aluminium and have the spikes enter the wood, but since the pads are stapled it seemed a silly suggestion, so I simply glued them with their adhesive sheet. Perfect result.

I bought some sheets of the correct thickness to cut my own aluminium pads for the SBLs I'm restoring. I had to buy a pack of 4 sheets and one sheet is enough for about 10 speakers worth!

If you PM me your address, I'd be happy to pop one of the sheets into the post for you.

I bought some sheets of the correct thickness to cut my own aluminium pads for the SBLs I'm restoring. I had to buy a pack of 4 sheets and one sheet is enough for about 10 speakers worth!

If you PM me your address, I'd be happy to pop one of the sheets into the post for you.

Thanks!

I did it myself twice. At Naim they say to be careful not to pierce the aluminium and have the spikes enter the wood, but since the pads are stapled it seemed a silly suggestion, so I simply glued them with their adhesive sheet. Perfect result.

And BTW, in recent times at Naim they suggest the possibility to just glue the pads on the forum too...

The original ones, of which I saw a photo before use, were cut from a sheet by 3M.

That’s a great thread there. Thanks for sharing. I’m about to replace tweeters and therefore have to finally get the bottle to replace gaskets and fancied DIY rather than £120. Someone had kindly set links to all materials required but sadly none of the links currently work. Quite excited at the project to see whether the SBLs have more to give as I suspect they’ve long required a bit TLC and gaskets resealed

I presume you know that Tom Tom Audio sell the Naim SBL gasket kit? £123 though... a lot of money really, but if you want a fully pre-canned solution.

GASKET KIT, SBL
I’ve seen a site called
I presume you know that Tom Tom Audio sell the Naim SBL gasket kit? £123 though... a lot of money really, but if you want a fully pre-canned solution.

GASKET KIT,

GASKET KIT, SBL
ive seen a site called cymbiosis that sells them at £90. I’m torn whether to bite the bullet or do them myself. Had the links on earlier post still been active I’d have confidently followed those instructions and had enough for spare kits. Pains me to through money away for something that used to cost about £12 back around 1990 or whenever they came out. Someone could make a tidy little sideline selling them at £40 per kit and still make large profit per kit

ive seen a site called cymbiosis that sells them at £90. I’m torn whether to bite the bullet or do them myself. Had the links on earlier post still been active I’d have confidently followed those instructions and had enough for spare kits. Pains me to through money away for something that used to cost about £12 back around 1990 or whenever they came out. Someone could make a tidy little sideline selling them at £40 per kit and still make large profit per kit
If you're reasonably DIY competent have a go yourself as it's not that hard.

A good thread here with pics and info:

SBL DIY gaskets

If you're reasonably DIY competent have a go yourself as it's not that hard.

A good thread here with pics and info:

SBL DIY gaskets
Thanks for that. It’s a great thread including dimensions etc. sadly the post with the links to materials has expired (the links no longer work as eBay items probably sold or amended). I really do fancy having a go just want to make sure I use correct materials

advertisement

Back