advertisement

Naim S-Cap Capacitor Question

rize

pfm Member
My S-Cap is using pair of S.L.C.E C038 caps as reservoir caps,
15,000 uF 63 -
13, 5A 85 Celsius

- If I upgrade the reservoir caps with the same specs as above except use a cap with higher amp rating than 5A, will this create problems ? :confused:

- Is it safe to try higher capacitance, higher amperage but keeping it at 63 Volts?

Cheers :)

I wouldn't go much above 22,000uf (going larger will give more space and air but after a while you will find yourself wanting to bypass them with smaller caps to speed things up so best stick to 22,000 or below to keep things snappy if you don't want to bypass) for the same size (Les at Avondale does a fab sounding Kendiel replacement) the amperes rating won't be tested but higher ripple ratings tend to sound better and higher voltage ratings (say 100v or more) have sound advantages also but then these high rated caps tend to be ENORMOUS in size, so won't fit. :eek:

Temp rating won't be tested in that situation.

Kendiel or Aerovox are the common favorites as straight replacements 63v 15 or 22,000uf types.

Though if you do experiment with alternatives keep us posted on how it sounds, always want to hear about something new.

Edit: just to add, if this is your first time changing large caps: the caps can discharge a collosal current in a split second, using a 100 ohm resistor to drain the standing charge will safeguard against, well, short circuit explosions!

Hi, Id stick to the same values unless you want to be messing around forever ,ive dabbled with different combinations but always went back to standard as there was some catch.If your supercap is an older one then a good little trick is remove the diodes on the main reg boards this gives a bit more air and sparkle.

Thank you for your comments. So far I have experimented with SLCE, Felsic and BC on NAP-135's;

Felsic C039
15,000 uF -10 +50%
63 Ucc -55+85 Celsius
100Hz 12.5 A 85 Celsius
Part# 728405
0529 LL 465

with
BC 15,000 uF Q
UR 63V
40/085/56 IEC 384-4 LL
Part# 2222 114 18153 HP
03 27

I found the BC cap producing deeper extended base over SLCE and Felsic. The Felsic has a darker presentation. I think the BC's are more neutral and open.

I have a 91' CDPS that has 15,000 uF 63v SLCE and they are still kicking - but not very transparent - I should upgrade the caps because they were never serviced - I have been using a CDS2/XPS2 for some time.

I haven't tried Kendeil but may well look into 22,000 uF 63V.

My S-Cap is olive 2001 - so I don't know if the reg boards are old enough to qualify for the removal op your recommend.

hp1, have you tried Kendeill 22,000 uF with your S-Cap?

Does anyone know what C038 and C039 signify? They are on SLCE and FELSIC caps.
For example SLCE C038 13, 5A
SLCE C039 2, 8A
Felsic C039 100 hz 12.5 A

markt, thanks for the discharge tip on the caps - I do approach them with respect :)

SLCE caps are no longer available - they went bust

Naim now use Felsic and As far as I know later SC's and HC's come with 22000 uF as standard.

BHC and Kendiel are also firm favourites on the replacement list.

Voltage not critical so long as its over 63 V (but higher costs more)
Temperature not critical as long as its over 85 degrees C (again higher costs more)

The key issue is to get a cap of appropriate value (15000 or 22000 uF) which comes with screw terminals and is the correct size to replace the original.

This makes it quite hard to not upsize to 22000 uF though BHC do a 15000 uF cap the right girth but shorter (available from Farnell)

This is slightly off topic - i have both olive and new hicaps and guess what is different inside. Absolutely nothing (capacitor makes may have changed but everything else is the same)

Only reason for a price hike between olive and black series is the front panel.

cheers stu

Try BC Component 114 series, however they are relatively bigger in size so check the spec sheets for sizes before you buy. And they are not cheap.

Any difference in sound between 15,000 uF and 22,000 uF?

With larger values - more spacious sound but slower speed - so is this the tradeoff ?

Loosing speed would be a definite downer :(- got to have that speed.

A bit of the topic but Vishay Bulk Foil 27K 0.5 watt - if you can find it - for the loop-back resistor in the Naim amp board keeps thing fast. It took about 3-4 days of FM signal burn-in and opens up everything, good separation between church and state, transparent and if you care for it better stage depth/height.

Heard no comments on Vishay BC caps - available from Farnell - the 'LL' versions cost more but just swapping these with the fairly new Felsics was an immediate improvement - much better base. Haven't checked inside the XPS2 but I suspect they are Kendeil's - very low floor noise. More compelling to listen at higher volumes after upgrading the XPS :).

Not surprised about Naim penalizing the consumer for the cost of having to pay for a face-lift - not to mention the disservice and country-club attitude of the geeky kind which seems to be the current company culture. I think things were different when Mr. Vereker was around. I found an archive on the web some of his correspondences with colleagues, customers, anybody out there with a question. One can sense that he was a gentleman with compelling arguments and obviously a superb entrepeneur. Replying to every question, accomodate the questioner but not necessarily give away trade secrets but keeping the customer on his side.

Post Vereker, it is quite a contrast in public relations - outrageous charges for replacing reservoir caps that cost 15 to 25 pounds :mad: - and behaving like they have done you a big favor and I don't think things are getting any better. Sooner or later global market forces take over and like Quad they will be manufacturing in China :D.

OTH I usually don't know what I'm talking about. I have listened to various new cosmetic Naim gear like the 250.2, S-Cap2 and I believe a CDX2. This was under non-ideal dealer show-room conditions and I was not impressed. I will stay with the olives for a while - except maybe on the source components - because I am happy with XPS2. It was day/night over XPS. Not sure where the improvements were made but it is certainly not the cosmetics since I always listen in the dark :rolleyes:

Hi,If your supercap is 2001 then it should have the STEEL regulators and the diodes not present on the boards.I find that the supercap can take upto a week to settle once it has been un powered for more than a few hours, this can make it difficult to evaluate changes in components.All you can do is live with it for a week or three. I found it very easy to make what appeared to be quite profound improvements,but they are usually swings and roundabouts and on the whole its difficult to disagree with the balance the naim designers settled on originally IMHO.Cheers Andy H.

Hi,If your supercap is 2001 then it should have the STEEL regulators and the diodes not present on the boards.I find that the supercap can take upto a week to settle once it has been un powered for more than a few hours, this can make it difficult to evaluate changes in components.All you can do is live with it for a week or three. I found it very easy to make what appeared to be quite profound improvements,but they are usually swings and roundabouts and on the whole its difficult to disagree with the balance the naim designers settled on originally IMHO.Cheers Andy H.

Any difference in sound between 15,000 uF and 22,000 uF?

With larger values - more spacious sound but slower speed - so is this the tradeoff ?

Going to 22,000 from 15000, no problems when I did it, Kendiels gave some extra texture and refinement, no loss of speed, experiment with double that out of curiosity just to see what happens, not good, big but boring!

"Not surprised about Naim penalizing the consumer for the cost of having to pay for a face-lift"

except for the fact that the cosmetic change began whilst Julian was still with us.

Sticking to the principle of one upgrade at a time - I found the Vishay BC caps clearly superior to Felsics or SLCE (same specs) - from a cold start.

Your feedback on BHC and Kendeill would be appreciated.

I am not sure if Elna is still available?

Cheers :)

advertisement

Back