advertisement

Naim replacement cards.

Kardhore

Banned
Can anyone describe the basic differences between the various Naim replacement 321/729 cards? I've listened to both the NJ cards and the RSL cards on a friends system, and thought the RSL cards sounded the best. Although reading a few of the old posts on this fine forum, I see most like the replacement cards but a few choose to keep the Naim originals, even if they own the 32.5 which of course didn't have the time aligned cards! Any brief thoughts? Wondering whether to buy some or just buy a new amp. Currently got a 62/180/Hicap set up. Like the Naim sound, for some reason more modern amps I've tried sound harsh in my listening room, but Olive Naim not so.

The cards you mention won't fit your 62, they're slot ins for 12/32 and 72.

I haven't heard NJ or RSL, but do use Avondale equivalent 821 cards just to add another dimension to your search:D

Avondale make 2 styles, high quality 321 which would keep the Naim style sound, and the 821 which takes a little PRAT out, but adds so much more (IMO)

Best bet is to ask your friend nicely to borrow his pre to try at home.

I haven't heard NJ or RSL, but do use Avondale equivalent 821 cards just to add another dimension to your search:D

Avondale make 2 styles, high quality 321 which would keep the Naim style sound, and the 821 which takes a little PRAT out, but adds so much more (IMO)

I assumed they would fit the 62 aswell? May'be cos its the same shape as the 72! Oh well.

Seem to be loads of 72s on the Ebay recently, think I might bid on one if I can get for less than 300. Anyone know what I can get for the 62?

I really liked the 821A in my 72

Was also thinking of swapping the 180 for 140, as that would look alot better on my shelf. Anyone know whether the Avondale upgrades for the 140 are worth it? I'm talking about the minicap. I listen mostly through my Turntable btw.

72 on the way, if I get replacement cards, not worth getting it serviced I guess?

No, not worth servicing if you get replacement cards. I've actually tried all the aftermarket cards available and have settled on the Ryan Sound Labs ones which I have used for some time now.

No, not worth servicing if you get replacement cards. I've actually tried all the aftermarket cards available and have settled on the Ryan Sound Labs ones which I have used for some time now.
Thanks, I thought they sounded good in a friends system, any experience oft he minicap for a 140? I like the shoebox Olive range and want to get the best out of them.

The minicap6 in the 140 removes its capacity to drive a pre-amp. However you get a really quiet but beefy power supply that will make it sound like a much more refined and powerful amp. Somewhere between a NAP180 and a 250 I reckon.

The minicap6 in the 140 removes its capacity to drive a pre-amp. However you get a really quiet but beefy power supply that will make it sound like a much more refined and powerful amp. Somewhere between a NAP180 and a 250 I reckon.
Thats good to know, thanks. So much nicer to have 2 shoeboxes (or 3 with Hicap) rather than a full width case messing up the aesthetics!

Thats good to know, thanks. So much nicer to have 2 shoeboxes (or 3 with Hicap) rather than a full width case messing up the aesthetics!
Palastine! The original "ultimate system" and still the best looking! :)

BTW, I'm pretty sure that any 32.5 that has visited HQ since the 90's has been given the time aligned boards. Mine had them installed when serviced back in the days that Studio 99 still existed and sent it to Salisbury for me for a recap.

15253333_1703941903268070_5816638234326728704_n.jpg

I currently run the RSL boards but for some music(Argo Part minimalist for example) the Avondale 821 boards are wonderful. Changing boards is a pain, any suggestions for how to run two sets of boards easily. Perhaps a switching board and two Pre amps, perhaps a DIY build?
John

Old thread, I know. Recently have been listening to some replacement boards for my NAC 72.

Started with the Avondale 821AR - this one was a huge improvement over my original (unserviced) Naim NA321s. Besides from cleaning up the speaker hiss it was more clear and more full sounding, particularly in the bass and mid bass areas.

Just had the chance to audition some RSL Z250V boards which now present a tricky decision. I find them to have similar benefits in clarity over the Naim boards. They present with a more neutral image (less bass and mid bass emphasis compared to the Avondale) and retain all of the quickness of timing associated with the classic Naim kit.

To me, they're both great... with the Avondale making the NAC 72 sound a bit more modern, and the RSL just a better/cleaner presentation of the classic Naim sound.

For anyone who's had the opportunity to try either of these (or both) what were your impressions, and how do they line up with mine?

Well, I've got a set of NJ729 cards in my NAC12 and I'm gobsmacked by them tbh. I might try a set of NJ321 too. I also have a set of NJ232 cards too, but I'm suffering horrendous RF at the moment; I'm hoping that changing the loading resistor and capacitor, to set it to type 'S' (it's set for 'K' at the moment) will cure the noise.

Well, I've got a set of NJ729 cards in my NAC12 and I'm gobsmacked by them tbh. I might try a set of NJ321 too. I also have a set of NJ232 cards too, but I'm suffering horrendous RF at the moment; I'm hoping that changing the loading resistor and capacitor, to set it to type 'S' (it's set for 'K' at the moment) will cure the noise.
I've also changed out the stock Naim NA729 with RSL Z301 and it is a nice improvement. Whilst I have not heard the NJ boards, am not surprised there are gains to be had vs the originals.

Full set of Ryan Soundlab boards here in my 32.5, Teddy Superregs in the Hi Cap and Monobloc 110' s with minicap 6/NCC 220 boards. I wont be buying any more boxes.

I use just pair of 821A boards as a pre amp, they are awesome IMO , Elma 6 way for switching and a 25K goldpoint stepped attenuator for gain
Alan

advertisement

Back