advertisement

Naim Prefix or Superline with an Akiva.

HydeLea

pfm Member
I've been using a Naim Prefix 'K' in my LP12 for years now, originally with a Linn Troika cartridge, which I've recently had to change due to it's age to the Linn Akiva. In the past I home trialed the Naim Superline and removed the Prefix. The Superline didn't sound anywhere near as good as the Prefix, and yes I did leave it the system for some months to 'warm-up' !

However, I've heard that the Superline paired with the Akiva gives stunning results over and above my Prefix. Currently the Prefix is powered by a Supercap so I wouldn't have to purchase a power supply. I think that I'm only using two rails within the Supercap when powering a Prefix but it still sounds better then either a Hicap or from being powered directly from the NAC-52 pre-amp. I think I'm right in stating that the Superline would use either nine or eleven rails from the Supercap so this would probably help, although it didn't when coupled withthe Troika.

Anyone done something similar ?

HydeLea.

Well, I've heard the Akiva and the Troika through a Superline and through a Prefix and listened to the Prefix and the Superline separately - the result is that I prefer the Prefix every time. However, I didn't use either phonostage with a Supercap so who knows. As you say, the Superline has the ability to use a lot more of the Supercap's regulation than the Prefix does.

Which part of the world are you in, HydeLea?

I run a Superline with an Akiva into a 52 and live nr junction 8 of M25. Be happy to help with a demo here or at yours if that helps.

Regards
David

Gosh, but there's been a lot of threads/posts involving Superlines recently !

Surely the upgrade to Akiva must be enough to rest on for awhile, as you've got the best Prefix combo (?) already. However, and correct me if I'm wrong, the Prefix cannot use all the S'cap's advantage, but the S'line most certainly can by dint of the Burndy cable AND it's designed with that in mind; the Prefix surely wasn't.

To my mind, the cart. is largely irrelevant to this, and the Superline will take your vinyl replay further than the Prefix can/could. There are dissenters to this view though :), but my personal experience, and that of a top all-Naim friend, points to the S'line being a no-brainer if you're prepared to exploit it.

Or there's the Linn path; I know nothing of this, but many people stake their grandmothers on Urica/Radikal/whatever superiority over the S'line route. I think, like a lot of upper end hifi, there are more differences than improvements.

I just never gelled with the Superline, the Prefix sounded better in every way apart from bass extension.

advertisement

Back