advertisement

Naim Pre Dilema

From personal experience I know exactly where you are coming from. If you want to keep what you have which is a great record playing system and enjoy CD's in a similar way, you could try the following:

1) buy a non-Naim CD player. Something with a valve front end such as Unison Research or something really analogue sounding such as a Bel Canto.

2) Get some Rothwell attenuators to reduce the input voltage into the NAC72

Hi Everyone

I am new to (PF) and enjoying reading the posts - As my title suggests i have a dilema regarding what direction to take with my Pre amp

Background

I used to own Lp12/ekos/troika/lingo - many years ago with my 72/hicap/250-Kabers- Fabulous
Added Cd3.5 - disappointing
Have parked my stuff for the past 7 years and now want to get back into it !

With the 72 pre i find it sounds better with vinyl -(Can it sound Wonderful with CD ??? -Do i keep it??)

Recently i purchased CDX2/ Teddy Xps (Nice- especially the Teddy - What a difference).

Taking into consideration that i now want a predominately CD based system - options that i am considering are

1.Service all amps (Overdue 20years +)
2.Keep 72 - purchase NJ boards -(My 72 has no CD input using Tuner) -Any other recommended modifications ?
3.Replace Hicap with Teddycap _ which one (Can 72 run with Teddy SC?)
4.Bite the bullet and purchase 282 or 52 (again which one will sound better with CD )- Would prefer to do this option in future!! -(Presently Skint)

My music tastes are varied Rock/ Pop /Classical

Any Info appreciated

Many Thanks

Brian

It made a big difference changing to NJ boards, also consider Avondale upgrades to your 250.

As DV says, consider switching to computer audio as it worke for both
of us.

Feedback so far tells me to keep my 72 and upgrade it with NJ

Question to 72NJ owners is how much of a difference did it actually make

Also what teddycap should i purchase

Thanks

I heard more detail and a more sophisticated soundstage when I installed NJ boards in my 72 (with HiCap & 160) , overall the tonal balance doesn't sound that different. CD from a Meridian 507 sounds good through it too.

I wouldn't modify your 250 and I wouldn't use those Rothwell attenuators either.

I've used plenty of CD players with my Nac72 and never had any problem with there being too much volume - it's not that hard to adjust.

If you want to have a smoother CD front end you could consider the new Audiolab DAC which looks smart, is fully featured and has a range of filters = I certainly found it smooth. Of course it won't have the dynamic of your vinyl, but that's hardly the fault of the pre-amp.

The thing is the 32.5 was designed to be a preamp for a record player. The variable card which became the CD input is generally regarded as poor why amplify the signal fart about with it then reduce it for a power amplifier. The signal to noise ratio is just buggered.

Yes, but you don't need to use those 'CD cards'. in fact, I would strongly suggest that they were not used; just use the Tuner input, or if the pre has two phono inputs, use jumper cables in one of those inputs to make it into a line input.

My son uses the 32.5 through the second bnc connection as an amplifier for his computer. It's fine.......

Yeh the cd cards are junk are unnecessary, just remove them and jumper the pins straight through.

Guess im going to take one upgrade at a time

Therefore my first purchase will be Nj boards . I have contacted Teddy regarding the Teddyreg - so i will see what happens
Will get Witch Hat audio to do the mods

Thanks to everyone for their inputs
Much appreciated

Regards

Brian

Well you definitely don't need WHA to fit the NJ cards - that's a 60 second job for anyone.

That some mods and psu combinations may cause problems. If you get a "suck out" in the frequecy response , look to the mod you have done , been there ,had trouble , sorted it.
Nothing to do with NJ cards , more to do with tweeking 321 boards. This forum is getting so bad I feel the need to cover my arse , how sad is that

Not 2 start WW3 Zener but why would that be ??

Are the Nj board + Teddyreg not a good combination - Most people on the forum are very positive regarding the Mods !!

that would be a fine combination ,its the 321 board mods on the "XXXXXX" site that may cause a problem ,but I cant mention it for reasons unknown. My dad was bought up under less scrutiny.

My first step -just purchased NJ boards - Thanx Neil
Next will be to get Pre & Hicap Serviced at (WHA)( Kendeil Capacitors)

Will leave the 250 for a while = thanks 4 all your inputs

Brian

Will the pre need servicing now you have the NJ boards? apart from the phono cards most of the important bits are on those boards.
I would get the Hicap and power amp done first.(ps consider the ASR Hicap mod from Avondale)

Muzzer is on the money. Heat is the problem, I'm not convinced Pre's need servicing for 20 years or more as they run cool. I am convinced however that power amps do. I had a 250 serviced at the Naim factory nine years later it went 'fizz' and needed another.

Yeh the cd cards are junk are unnecessary, just remove them and jumper the pins straight through.

Any internal pics of the jumped second phono in sockets or hand drawn diagrams (not circuit diagrams ) - apologies I was an arts student!

advertisement

Back