advertisement

Naim pre-amp upgrade

I had replaced the 32.5/SNAPS/140 with a Nait 3 for a couple of days as I'd just bought it (it was cheap - don't really know what I'm going to use it for though!) but it's back in now. I quite liked the Nait 3, however the improvement with the older stuff back in isn't subtle.

I had replaced the 32.5/SNAPS/140 with a Nait 3 for a couple of days...
Well it (the Nait 3) is just about the worst amp Naim ever did (relatively speaking). A 12S/SNAPS/160 would be well worth trying but as you'd probably find out, nothing would be "better" just slightly "different" and whether you'd like the differences would be purely subjective.

My vote goes to whoever said buy more vinyl - it's the best value upgrade you could make and will lead to hour upon hour of enjoyment.

I'm convinced - no pre-amp upgrade needed!

I've heard a 12S (it was nice) but preferred the 32.5.

INTERMISSION:

train_wreck.jpg

32.5 may need a service, especially if it hasn't been done yet. My rule of thumb is that pre-amps generally go for twice as long between servicing as power amps and power supplies. If you're going to service anything get the stuff that gets warm done first!

When I had my 102>HC>140 into Neat Motive 2s I upgraded the 140 to a 250. Very very nice upgrade, music flowed much more effortlessly, had more weight to it and was more dynamic.

The other thing you may want to look at is a cart or rack upgrade if you are wanting to spend some $$$

Thanks for all the advice.

Don't really want to upgrade the Credo's 'cause I like them (and if I did replace them it'd be with something smaller as my study is only 12x8).

So I'm thinking:
1) Get the 32.5 serviced
2) Find another chrome bumper 140 and go active with the IXO
3) Maybe a flatcap for the CD3.5

Then leave well alone for another decade.

You've received some good advice ... yet you have ignored it? :confused:

Power your 32.5 with a HiCap - it's a significant upgrade from a FlatCap. If your 32.5 hasn't been recapped then that's probably another good thing to get done.

Regards,

Andy

I'm convinced - no pre-amp upgrade needed!

I've heard a 12S (it was nice) but preferred the 32.5.

Presumably, it was a 12S ... rather than the 12S-5 that I have! :p

IOW, you can substantially increase the SQ of a 12S by dual-powering it - just like dual-powering a 32 improves it (and turns it into a 32-5). That might put it equal with a 32-5?

Regards,

Andy

If it was my system I would be tempted to put a flatcap on the CD3.5 and switch the Credos for a pair of Neat Motive 2s. Shouldn't cost too much and the Neats are a great match for Naim electronics.

You've received some good advice ... yet you have ignored it?

If I tried to follow all the advice on the thread I'd have to buy 3 or 4different pre-amps, a couple of different power amps, a couple of different power supplies, new speakers, new racks, a new CD player and upgrade my turntable...

advertisement

Back