advertisement

Naim pre-amp upgrade

SteveG

pfm Member
My little study system has been static for donkey's years now:
Sources: Naim CD3.5, LP12/SME3009/Shure, Alienware laptop (iTunes, games etc)
Amps: NAC32.5, SNAPS, NAP140
Speakers: Credo's
Racks: Mana

Everyone still working fine and sounding lovely but I've been thinking about upgrading. I was thinking about a NAC102 pre-amp but I've seen some stories about then so not sure.

So questions:
1) What pre-amp is a worthwhile upgrade over the old 32.5?
2) Is a pre-amp upgrade likely worthwhile with my current sources?
3) I've got an IXO somewhere so would I be better getting another 140 and using that - maybe adding a flatcap or hi-cap?

1. None, it's one of the best. Dual rail the SNAPS to use it at its best. Change/remove some of the cards for instant upgrades/presentation.
2. CD3.5 is my favourite Naim CD player.
3. Not heard the IXO but do use an external PSU for it - I believe flatcap is adequate for these.

The only recent upgrade to the system was the new puck for the CD3.5 that arrived today. Best value for money upgrade ever!

The IXO cannot use an external power supply....however by itself it does maybe 75%+ of what a Snaxo/Hicap does, and is very good VFM.

My little study system has been static for donkey's years now:
Sources: Naim CD3.5, LP12/SME3009/Shure, Alienware laptop (iTunes, games etc)
Amps: NAC32.5, SNAPS, NAP140
Speakers: Credo's
Racks: Mana

Everyone still working fine and sounding lovely but I've been thinking about upgrading. I was thinking about a NAC102 pre-amp but I've seen some stories about then so not sure.

So questions:
1) What pre-amp is a worthwhile upgrade over the old 32.5?
2) Is a pre-amp upgrade likely worthwhile with my current sources?
3) I've got an IXO somewhere so would I be better getting another 140 and using that - maybe adding a flatcap or hi-cap?

Avoid the 102, it can be dissapointing, at least mine were, very soon I went back to Nac 72
IMO a Nac 52/PSU is a worthwhile upgrade but at a cost

I wouldn't use a CD3.5 in such a setup so get your Snaps on the CD and put a Hicap on 32.5

Change the speakers to SBL or ?

Avoid the 102, it can be dissapointing, at least mine were, very soon I went back to Nac 72
IMO a Nac 52/PSU is a worthwhile upgrade but at a cost

I wouldn't use a CD3.5 in such a setup so get your Snaps on the CD and put a Hicap on 32.5

Change the speakers to SBL or ?

I replaced my Avondale modded 32.5 for a 52 pre you can tell the difference but at a price. In my opinion its worth it. But the set up you have is very good. Whatever you end up with enjoy.
:D

There is no Naim pre that's a worthwhile upgrade until the 52, and even then you'll wonder if it was worth the outlay.
Keep your amps exactly as they are, or maybe change the Snaps for a Hicap.

If it were me I would stick with your existing pre-amp but change the power amp to a 250 and change speakers to SBL or SL2 if staying with Naim...

Having gone through the whole olive range (to scap 52) and ended up back at the 32.5 it was a huge waste of money- fun mind, made me feel good about myself and the amount of work I was doing. This hobby of ours has a lot more to it than meets the ear.

Keep the 32.5 and drop a grand plus trade in on a pair of SH speakers.

Everyone still working fine and sounding lovely

I think you answered your own post there. The 32.5 is a lovely pre-amp giving a sweet sound and with you having the DR Snaps as well it's a great match. Your brain is making you think you will make a big gain with an upgrade and no doubt with some wedge thrown at it you will but if your happy then my advice would be stay happy and spend the "upgrade" money on some new vinyl :D

Thanks for all the advice.

Don't really want to upgrade the Credo's 'cause I like them (and if I did replace them it'd be with something smaller as my study is only 12x8).

So I'm thinking:
1) Get the 32.5 serviced
2) Find another chrome bumper 140 and go active with the IXO
3) Maybe a flatcap for the CD3.5

Then leave well alone for another decade.

Stay as you are but service the amps if you think they need it. IMO there is no sensible Naim road from where you are that isn't a financial millstone - stay as you are or jump ship.

Reminds me of the Naim forum - the only place where the ultimate answer to question of "life the universe and everything" is 52, not 42.

advertisement

Back