advertisement

Naim pre amp proposed change help

Owner of a NAC 32.5 with NJ boards here and very satisfied. Unbeatable for the price.
Using it with an Hicap/Avondale TPR4 and NAP 160 BD.

That’s a lot of useful opinions and experiences for me to now sit and process so thanks to all contributors. Any more will still be most welcome.

You have, essentially, an Olive Naim system I think? As others have said a 72 would match and is very upgradable. Use your Avondale supply if you like. I would go (have gone!) RSL cards in the 72 but you could Avondale for a different character or NJ depending on taste. Then the PSU could stay or swap out for a Hicap with any number of regulator swaps, RSL PSM-1 is my choice but TPR4 is well liked here (if you want to keep the LM317 sound) or WitchHat NEWT etc. For me a 72 RSL and Hicap RSL PSM-1 is a destination, and I'm done.

Alternatively for more £ and space an 82 moving eventually to Supercap and WitchHat Superlink for close to a 52 would be an alternative destination.

Or indeed a 52 Supercap.

I'm not here to spend your money though, see if you can get to hear at least some of these options.

EDIT: I would not favour modifying the 102, swapping cards in a 72 or the regulator module in a Hicap are simple, diy, can be reversed if you don't like the result, and reversed before sale if you like. Modification meanwhile ... well be sure you want to before you do!

You have, essentially, an Olive Naim system I think? As others have said a 72 would match and is very upgradable. Use your Avondale supply if you like. I would go (have gone!) RSL cards in the 72 but you could Avondale for a different character or NJ depending on taste. Then the PSU could stay or swap out for a Hicap with any number of regulator swaps, RSL PSM-1 is my choice but TPR4 is well liked here (if you want to keep the LM317 sound) or WitchHat NEWT etc. For me a 72 RSL and Hicap RSL PSM-1 is a destination, and I'm done.

Alternatively for more £ and space an 82 moving eventually to Supercap and WitchHat Superlink for close to a 52 would be an alternative destination.

Or indeed a 52 Supercap.

I'm not here to spend your money though, see if you can get to hear at least some of these options.

EDIT: I would not favour modifying the 102, swapping cards in a 72 or the regulator module in a Hicap are simple, diy, can be reversed if you don't like the result, and reversed before sale if you like. Modification meanwhile ... well be sure you want to before you do!

Very true but the value of 102 have tumbled due to the bad press I can't give mine away, if op has same issue the costs involved in the other options ie a 72 plus RSL would be a similar cost to a modified 102 and NJ and others have likened a modified 102 and supplies to 52 SC. Not my words btw my only reason for selling is looks, going back to half width cases for the amps and power supplies

Hmm reduced second hand value wasn't really my point, my point was: what if you don't like it? It isn't like you can try it and say, nah, thanks but no thanks, put it back the way it was and I'll have my money back please. Cards you can try, with RSL Kit does a free loan, NJ or Avondale you could take a punt and sell on for little loss.

Now we get into the discussion about resale value ...

As a few people here know, as I was craving advice at the time, I recently changed my 102/NAPSC/HiCap TPR4 for an 82/Dual Teddy Cap (all feeding through an NCC220 modded 180 into Allaes). It was a significant improvement, one of those that makes you grin involuntarily. How much of that is due the 82 or DTC though, I don't know as I found the music so much more engaging that I could not be arsed faffing around with cables to compare individual units. The NAPSC and HiCap are gone now so I never will. I've never tried a 72 though, so cannot comment on that. The 82/DTC turned up at just the right time so could not resist, and I do not regret it at all.

advertisement

Back