advertisement

Naim Pre Amp Out To RCA In

Al_G

I lost my Naim amp a while back when the official Naim USA service center closed down, and now I plan to drive a 'normal' amp with my NAC 62 / HiCap combo.

I'd like to buy a terminating connector for the Naim cable out from the 62. Then I'd connect female RCA connectors to the terminating connector in some sturdy fashion. And then I'd be able to use RCA connects to connect to my amp.

Do the Naim plugs have a name? (Didn't mean for that to be a joke, and I guess it really isn't, more of a pun.) I'd like to search for a supplier, or if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be lovely.

If I can't get a terminating connector, I'll just cut my Naim cable and connect RCA plugs directly, but I'd certainly prefer the first option.

In the meantime, I run the 62 Tape Out into a professional mixing console (Soundcraft Series 200B), and then that drives my amp. Sounds pretty darn good, but I'm thinking I can improve the sound with this little DIY project.

Give RedCo a call, they have an excellent help desk, a huge inventory of parts & cables, or will make exactly what you need & have a real postal service.
They are in Stratford CT http://www.redco.com/

I think the Naim DIN is better known as a "Mini DIN" in US - you need the 240 degree 4 pin.
There are 2 makes that dominate the market
- PREH has a locking ring
- Neutrik's don't have locking rings but have a choice of pin materials such as tin or silver - I prefer Neutrik as a better quality part.

The 5 pin SNAIC socket is 240º, 2 x 24v + L/R signal + 0v.

If your making your own, might be better using the 4 pin for signal, leave the 5 pin (between 62/Hicap) as standard?

You just need a 4pin DIN to RCA phono cable. I make them up often and have to use these on my monoblocs. It'll plug into the hicap and extract the audio signal from there. All the pinouts are printed on the back of the hicap.

Thanks for all the very helpful (and quick) replies! I found a place in the UK (Sounds Heavenly) that sells 3 meter DIN4 to dual RCA cables for 22 pounds. Might be the simplest thing to try at first.

there are a number of options available, i am sure when i was looking at wiring options on ebay there was a seller on there

You "lost your amp when the USA service centre closed down??"

That sounds a bit off really!

Have you discussed the situation with Naim UK? I'm sure they wouldn't be happy that customers lost equipment due to the failure of their local operation.

advertisement

Back