advertisement

Naim or Rega for Kudos X2?

rick82

Hi all,
After some time I go back to writing here for advice.

I have Kudos X2 and would like to change amplification, I would like something English to match the little Kudos and I'm evaluating Naim or Rega. Specifically I'm oriented on Naim XS2 (used) or Rega Elex mk4 (new), the budget doesn't allow me to go any further.

I know that both are fine and are usually recommended, having no chance to try them at home and with my speakers I was interested in a comparison and some advice on the differences in sound between the two amplifiers.

I listen mainly to jazz and classic rock, for other genres I usually use headphones, no classical in my library, I am especially interested in bass control and a generally wide and enjoyable sound, and important is performance at low volume.

I currently use the Nuprime Dac9 and STA9 pair, I like everything, I have power (even too much) and quality, maybe a sound in general a little too warm for my current tastes that have changed since buying the Nuprime, that's why I would like to change.

I’va a Metrum Amethyst dac to use with the new amplifier, or the integrated dac in the Elex if I’ll go for Rega.

Thanks in advance for the answers and advice!

I feel someone should respond to your post, otherwise it is a bit disheartening. I own a pair of Kudos X2 and used them with a Rega Elicit amp, I've also used them with a Rega Mira3 amp. The Elex falls between these two amps, both of which I think work well with the Kudos.

I've also heard the X2 on the end of a Naim Nait 5i amp, the intro amp for Naim; in fact, when I first auditioned the X2 I compared the Mira3 and Nait 5i, and I would probably have opted for Naim at the time had not price been a factor. It has been many years since I did this comparison so I can't comment with any authority as to the differences in sound. I think both amps would work well with Kudos speakers. I'm sure if you bought the Naim XS2 used and didn't like the sound you would be able to resell them and recover most of your outlay.

Hi all,
After some time I go back to writing here for advice.

I have Kudos X2 and would like to change amplification, I would like something English to match the little Kudos and I'm evaluating Naim or Rega. Specifically I'm oriented on Naim XS2 (used) or Rega Elex mk4 (new), the budget doesn't allow me to go any further.

I know that both are fine and are usually recommended, having no chance to try them at home and with my speakers I was interested in a comparison and some advice on the differences in sound between the two amplifiers.

I listen mainly to jazz and classic rock, for other genres I usually use headphones, no classical in my library, I am especially interested in bass control and a generally wide and enjoyable sound, and important is performance at low volume.

I currently use the Nuprime Dac9 and STA9 pair, I like everything, I have power (even too much) and quality, maybe a sound in general a little too warm for my current tastes that have changed since buying the Nuprime, that's why I would like to change.

I’va a Metrum Amethyst dac to use with the new amplifier, or the integrated dac in the Elex if I’ll go for Rega.

Thanks in advance for the answers and advice!
I haven’t spent enough time with Kudos X2 to speak directly to your choice of partner for it. Seemed like a lovely little tower, but I was drawn to the mid-range of the Cardea C10 at the time.

But, since you aren’t exactly overwhelmed with replies so far, perhaps I can speak to some other Naim and Rega partnerships with Kudos or Neat speakers, for what it may be worth.
I’ve had more time with Neat Motive 2 and 3, Kudos Cardea C10, and latterly Neat Momentum SX3i; variously with Naim Nait XS2, SN 1 or 2, and Rega Elicit R.

I’ve had a decent home audition with the first model of Rega Elex as well, but moved to the Elicit R soon after, and although I still enjoy the Elicit R to this day, I wasn’t so sure I’d gained all that much by the move from the Elex.
I haven’t heard the several more recent Mk steps up the Rega ladder. Assuming they are no worse than the earlier models of Elex and Elicit R, extrapolating from the pairings I’ve had time with, you can't go far wrong with any Rega Elex, or the Nait XS2, with your Kudos X2. I enjoyed the Nait XS2 very much for a couple of years, rotating through several models of Neat and Kudos. You might find a used Elicit R worthwhile too.

At the price range I’ve played within, I’ve found Nait and Rega integrateds pretty comparable in overall quality and pleasure factor, especially with Kudos and Neat models at the more modest price range.. Maybe a little better VFM on the Rega side. Both have done very well with the Neats and Kudos I’ve had in house. But the sound signatures of the Naim and Rega amps are not identical - there is enough difference to ground a preference for one or the other.
Much has been written trying to describe the Naim house sound, to the extent it might be a constant through different models - I won’t clutter the record trying to come up with something new or definitive. A series of more or less lateral moves have left me back with the Rega Elicit R, enjoying it overall as much as anything I’ve had, and finding it very versatile across my present stable of Neat Momentum SX3i, Harbeth P3 ES2, also; a skilled hobbyist’s hybrid of Rogers LS3/5a cabinets with Stirling Broadcast V2 internals, and an old favorite in the Reference 3a Dulcet.

Hope that helps a little. If nothing else, a caution against restless lateral movement…

Many thanks Darkagesound.
You’re right, Naim is like cash if bought at a good price used, maybe it is easier to resell than Rega.

Many thanks Panderos.
I think I’ll go for the best deal I can find or try to listen something in a store (sure not with my speakers). Rega is more attractive from a money saving point of view, on the other side Naim is Naim, fascinating. A firmed of mine had a Naim Supernait 2 some years ago and I remember a great sound, it was paired with a pair of B&W, not my favorite brand but the Naim had a great control on that speakers end give a lot of “meat” to the sound.

If you can find a 2nd Supernait within budget you will not go far wrong. Naim is generally easier to sell on.

Probably not much help but auditioned X2s with a dealer's high end Naim stack and they sounded lovely. Really drew me to them, and were the best of a bunch of speakers compared at the time (if the amp/speaker pairing had anything to do with it).

Some years later have a pair of X2s at home and they worked really nicely with a little Exposure 1010 amp - not the main amp I used with them, but seemed to compliment each other very well. As in Exposure might be worth looking at too.

I had a 3010 some time ago, I don’t know why but I didn’t like it very much in my room with the Kudos, maybe it was a some kind of mismatch with the source at that time, I don’t know but I found it a little unrefined and some times harsh.

I am not sure I have any qualification to make sensible comments, but I offer this as I have had various Rega amps here in the last few years, (Brio second edition, Brio latest, Elax, Elicit and Aethos) and I have a vintage Naim since late 1980, and I observe that the Rega are good value for the money (and a company I would prefer to have my business), and deliver (though the biger amps run very warm) and Naim are more money for the same point in the range, and will tempt you onto an upgrade path (like a Linn turntable) that will end in spending more money. I buck the trend and kept the 1980 Naim to this day (and in a comment to another thread (HiFi advice...) I never listen to a dealer telling me what to buy, and have gone to a dealer knowing what I am interested to buy.

The other observation I have about Naim is the notion that you do not just buy the expensive amp, but to get the 'best' sound quality you need particular suporting equipment, particular cables and interconnects, all of which are expensive, and according to Naim, required for the 'best' sound. My old Naim sits on a home made wall bracket.

Rega Amps just do the job. I think you would be looking at the Elicit or Aethos to have similar power to the STA-9, and I am guessing you use a streaming input. You would want to find a second hand Rega, but I suspect the Rega owners keep hold of their amps.

Part of my exercise with Rega Amps was to build another system here as these days I spend more time in another from the main Naim, and partly to give a system to my son.

I have never heard any Kudos speaker, but they often are driven with Naim systems. I prefer, and have owned since the late 1980's, the Rogers BBC Studio Monitors and have been quite content.

I say again, I have no qualification to comment, and I have an odd way of thinking about hifi, so please take this into account having read my observations.

I owned some X2s for a short time a couple of years ago. On the end of a Naim Uniti Atom, they weren't at their best. Swapped the Uniti for an Exposure 3010S2D, massively better all round, probably as to be expected but a demonstration of how the X2 performs with a bit of grunt driving them.

Of your 2 options for amp, I'd go for the Rega Elex. Had an Elex-R earlier this year and it was fabulous. Why not look for used Elex-R as you obviously don't require an on-board DAC ? I'm always wary of transformer hum with Naim amps.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
I look around for the best deal I can find.
Regarding cables I’ve Chord Epic Twin, Kimber 4tc or Audiowuest Rocket 33 speakers cables, for power a Cardas cable and various interconnect cables to test.

I understand that both Naim or Rega are good for my speakers, if I can’t make some serious listen I’ll go for the best value for money I can find.

Just to throw a curve ball, last time I heard X2’s was with a Linn Majik DSM. It sounded superb, preferable to Naim electronics IMHO (I’ve been up to 252/300 level).

Found a good deal for a Nait XS2 and pulled the trigger.
Now the chain is Metrum Acoustic Amethyst dac > Naim Nait XS2 > Kudos X2

Comparing to my previous Nuprime stack now I can ear more realism, a more vivid and live-like sound. Fortunately no hum or strange sounds, only a light bzzz with the volume week set to max (no music play).

I use Chord epic twin speakers cables (3 meters), I had the chord at home already, I think is a good match with the little Nait, someone have something better to suggest?
Also for interconnection cables (at the moment I use a pair of Airtech Alfa, copper) someone has something to suggest?

Thanks again to all for all the replies and suggestions!

Congratulations on the Nait XS2. I've always preferred the Naim house sound to Rega although the latter is regarded as value for money. My only experience with the Rega is the Elicit mk2. I've listened to Nait XS, owned Naim 202/200 and currently 282/250DR for more than 5 years now. I suspect the top Rega integrateds Aethos and Osiris are the good ones, Elicit and below not so much in terms of sound quality but I can understand it's value for money. The Rega house sound (Elicit mk2) is warm, lush, expansive but lacking in clarity, separation, detail, slam and dynamics. The Naim specifically 282/250DR sounds bolder and has better bass punch, slam and dynamics. The top Rega models Osiris and Aethos may show comparable or better performance than Rega lower models and Naim equivalent.

In my book the 282/250DR is the sweet spot that gives you a slice of what Naim is capable of. The Nait XS (original model) I experienced in my system more than a decade ago, to my ears is just average (I'm not impressed with it actually as it sounded almost the same as the Rega Elicit mk2 when I compared both in my system). The Nait XS2 may be a much improved amp than the XS1.

Chord Epic Twin speaker cables are value for money and sound great. I've owned the Epic with 282/250DR before moving up to Signature XL. I would agree with hifinutt.

I've always preferred the Naim house sound to Rega although the latter is regarded as value for money. My only experience with the Rega is the Elicit mk2.
Current Rega amps are much better than their older range.

A friend and me both preferred Aethos vs SuperNait 2.
Elex/R against 5Si , Rega came out as a winner for me.

Naim "house sound" has changed considerably during years.

Current Rega amps are much better than their older range.

A friend and me both preferred Aethos vs SuperNait 2.
Elex/R against 5Si , Rega came out as a winner for me.

Naim "house sound" has changed considerably during years.

Good to know. If I were to consider a Rega amp, it would be either Aethos or Osiris. As I mentioned earlier I suspect these two amps to be reference level and much better than the rest. The Elicit mk2 sounded underwhelming to my ears.

I do not have experience with ElexR or Nait 5SI so I can't comment on that. My benchmark is 282/250DR with Naim where the performance is a step or two above the Elicit mk2. I also find the 202/200 to be more capable than the Elicit. The Elicit mk2 is comparable to Nait XS as they both sound almost the same to my ears with small differences not worth bothering about.

advertisement

Back