advertisement

Naim NNP01 conversion

ratovan2

Hi all, I am hoping to convert my Naim NNP01 streaming amp into a stand alone power amplifier and could use a little help if possible.
I have tried to find information on the product from Naim and using the web but very little seems available.
What i want to attempt is to remove all the input and streaming boards and utilise the power amp and power supply.
I had hoped that merely disconnecting the power amp connecting cable from the input side and terminating this to a naim style connector or possibly bulkhead RCA`s would be possible.
Looking at the pcb layout it is very similar to a Nap 200 other than shape and off board power supply, but I am now unsure if i have simplified things greatly and this would not work without modification.
i8zXGC

2Mtd8S

69xkSi

Any help or ideas would be gratefully received
Thanks

Yes this is entirely possible, this was an ‘upgrade’ path for the Nait series though if I remember correctly this bypassed the power amp boards making the Nait a pre.

In your amp, the input cable is the black multi core. Terminating this to a connector either rca, din, xlr etc will have the desired effect. IMO, you might as well leave everything else as is for an easy reinstatement should you want to part ways with it in the future. The only issue may be finding enough free space on the back for siting connectors.

Yes this is entirely possible, this was an ‘upgrade’ path for the Nait series though if I remember correctly this bypassed the power amp boards making the Nait a pre.

In your amp, the input cable is the black multi core. Terminating this to a connector either rca, din, xlr etc will have the desired effect. IMO, you might as well leave everything else as is for an easy reinstatement should you want to part ways with it in the future. The only issue may be finding enough free space on the back for siting connectors.

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking of testing it first then carefully removing the guts and fitting RCA`s and a DIN socket as I wont be using it as a streaming amp again.
Hopefully get to try the conversion early next week, will report back.

Happy to report she is singing beautifully after the modification, just need to tidy it up now.
Thanks TOR for the input, very much appreciated.

Appreciate this thread - It inspired me to pick up an S/H NNP01 locally and I managed to convert it today. I'd still be interested in using the digital/preamp boards, though, if I could find a relatively cheap way to do so. I've actually downloaded the Streamnet Application Suite, which I think might allow me to select input and gain via Windows, though I'd have to do this anew whenever the amp has been switched off. The most immediate problem, however, is that the software is password protected, as it was only meant for professionals.

Appreciate this thread - It inspired me to pick up an S/H NNP01 locally and I managed to convert it today. I'd still be interested in using the digital/preamp boards, though, if I could find a relatively cheap way to do so. I've actually downloaded the Streamnet Application Suite, which I think might allow me to select input and gain via Windows, though I'd have to do this anew whenever the amp has been switched off. The most immediate problem, however, is that the software is password protected, as it was only meant for professionals.
Appreciate your reply as I have been looking for the Streamnet software and have been unable to find a copy, could you tell me where you found it?.
I have left mine ready to convert back if suitable software and windows access could be found.

Just google "Streamnet Application Suite" and the first hits should contain links to different versions of the software.

Doesn't they come with working Naim version of streaming application? Could original software be used with your now isolated streaming boards?

To be honest I didn’t put that much effort into trying, I am very happy with the outcome of my conversion. It sounds terrific, typical Naim sound which I love.
However if someone comes up with an easy solution to get it working through the Naim software, or any streaming software, then I have left it so it can be returned to original.

Bringing this back from the dead, I’ve got the password for the NaimNet Suite software if anyone needs it, see here.

Richard

advertisement

Back